Baldy Ski Hut/Backbone 6-4-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

mve (on another thread) wrote:You can go all the way to the summit -- there are few slick parts on the ridge but without any serious exposure. We had no crampons/axes, just trekking poles.
I took mve's word for it hiked up Mt. Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail on a gorgeous day. Temperatures were in the 70s and 80s and it was calm and warm on top. mve was exactly right. There is some snow left, even a few hundred feet to walk across on the trail, but the conditions are really summer-like. There is no call for any sort of winter gear, even jackets. I went down the Backbone trail to the Baldy Lodge. The ski lift was being worked on, but I would have hiked down the dirt road to Manker Flat anyway.

Pictures
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Thanks for posting. It's amazing how fast the snow is melting, especially on Ontario Peak.
norma r

Post by norma r »

thanks Alan!
Sam Page wrote:It's amazing how fast the snow is melting, especially on Ontario Peak.
it was a great winter! now i'll look forward to burst of flowers on the Ski Hut Trail in July!
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Hi Norma, speaking of flowers Shin and I did Baldy this morning, what are the bright yellow nice smellin flowers on the side of the road driving up to the trail head..

mark
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Nice seeing you on the trail, Mark.
Sorry I confused you for another member of the Baldy Breakfast Club...
My 2nd faux pas was that I didn't realize you were with Shin. Our paths have crossed many times, but we have never actually been introduced...
Hi, Shin! :D

I think some Aetherians were sleeping on the summit when we arrived at 4:30. 'Twas a very beauteous morning atop Old Baldy:

Sure glad Will and I beat the hordes. Looks like a tour bus arrived moments after I saw you!
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

EManBevHills wrote:...I think some Aetherians were sleeping on the summit when we arrived at 4:30. ...
Only if Atherians make a habit of schlepping 12-packs, home brew, and snow boards up the mountain.