Lone Pine Peak north ridge

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
hamik

Post by hamik »

I wouldn't normally post an update to my website on a forum, but I feel like this is my "home" forum, so it's OK. :-) I just got off a bit of an adventure on the technical north ridge of Lone Pine Peak solo, and perhaps you guys will enjoy the read. Link to the blog's in my sig below.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Don't feel bad about posting an update. Unlike most forums, people here are mature.

Gotta go back and do that route. Attempted it last year when I was in a rut.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Nice trip report, hamik. It brought back some gripping memories (though I was on belay). I can relate to how tired you were on the final tower.
mve

Post by mve »

Cool adventure! Thanks for sharing.
hamik

Post by hamik »

Heh, Taco, I think I can find some stuff in the Off Topic forum which speaks to the contrary... 8) Let me know when you do the ridge! I'm curious about the layback and off-width pitches above the second notch, since I didn't do them. I wonder if that way is easier in winter when there is more snow?

Sam, I just read your post about the GT climbers' ranch... while for most of my life I would have been equally appalled at those eating habits, lately I've started to wonder if I don't have a weak stomach--I've had serious gastrointestinal infections virtually every time I've left the country--due to the sterile way I prepare and eat food. Maybe those pigs have robust immune systems from fishing food outta the trash, eh? =)

mve, thanks! This time the TR was less an inclination to share an experience and more a need to process what just happened by typing it out.
Taco

Post by Taco »

hamik wrote:Heh, Taco, I think I can find some stuff in the Off Topic forum which speaks to the contrary... 8) Let me know when you do the ridge! I'm curious about the layback and off-width pitches above the second notch, since I didn't do them. I wonder if that way is easier in winter when there is more snow?

Sam, I just read your post about the GT climbers' ranch... while for most of my life I would have been equally appalled at those eating habits, lately I've started to wonder if I don't have a weak stomach--I've had serious gastrointestinal infections virtually every time I've left the country--due to the sterile way I prepare and eat food. Maybe those pigs have robust immune systems from fishing food outta the trash, eh? =)

mve, thanks! This time the TR was less an inclination to share an experience and more a need to process what just happened by typing it out.
That's what off topic is for! :-)

I'm going sometime this summer, so snow won't be an issue or aide. Maybe a group get together kinda thing.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

hamik wrote:I'm curious about the layback and off-width pitches above the second notch, since I didn't do them. I wonder if that way is easier in winter when there is more snow?
When I did it in May, there was no snow on the steep sections of the crux tower. I remember surprisingly difficult and somewhat sustained 5.7 (felt like 5.8 with heavy packs). I don't recall an offwidth, though.

And yeah, start working on strengthening your bowels! Dumpster diving, perhaps?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice work, Hamik! I've been wanting to climb that route for awhile now. Don't know that I'd have the cojones to do it solo, though.