Mt. Baldy, Northeast Face

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Yesterday, Taco and I climbed the northeast face of Mt. Baldy. We were on snow for about 2,500 vertical feet. Here is my trip report.

mve

Post by mve »

Wow, "all roads lead to Rome", but you guys took a long, tough one :shock: awesome climb through some inhospitable terrain.

Do you know if the Ski Hut trail is clear of snow and passable without crampons yet?
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice!
I've been wanting to do those last two for years!
:D
norma r

Post by norma r »

Cool hike and ascent Sam and Ryan! :D congrats on coming up with the idea and finding the way (this time!) though the first attempt looked fun too. do you have any desire to go back and do it again? i would like to give it a go if you do.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Thanks folks.

mve: I heard that the Ski Hut trail is still partially snow-covered, but is passable without crampons once the snow softens. Recent pics.

Norma: I probably won't be heading up that drainage again anytime soon, but Patrick might be game.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice work Guys! Hey Sam I really like that new ipod feature on your blog. :D
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

TracieB wrote:Nice work Guys! Hey Sam I really like that new ipod feature on your blog. :D
Thanks Tracie! Those are my home-recorded tunes.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Recidivist!
:D

Nice job completing unfinished business so quickly.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

PICHA TIEM

Solid rock! QUALITY!

Looking back

Summit Inn

Descent
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Nice TR & pics! Always wondered what it was like down 'dere... interesting.

Regarding the Summit Inn

From Dan's Hiking Page/website:

"In the summers of 1910-12, William B. Dewey and his wife built and managed the Baldy Summit Inn near the top of mountain. It included two small stone buildings and several tents. Guests rode horses and mules up from Camp Baldy (today's Baldy Village) for the most unique resort experience in the west. Fire destroyed the camp in 1913, and Dewey never rebuilt."

--------------

I looked in John Robinson's SG's book and yep, there were two stone buildings. JR said they were for food/supplies storage - Yogi & Boo Boo wanted too much free grub.

There are pictures of the tents in JR's book, but would love to see pictures of those stone buildings too - anyone ever seen one? Longshot but ya never know...

Robinson also specified the fire was a cooking fire, tents and the rest toasted beyond repair.

Then it got me wondering - I know there's not much to burn up there, duh Baldy, but has a fire ever got to the top of Baldy? Or high how up can a fire get in that area?

tia

Taco, getting that close to those snow pockets, are ya ever get worried what might be in there, or make that, what might pop outta there? Or have I just watched too much tv?

:P :P
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've only ever seen that single building. Any idea where #2 is?

Only fools like me hide in those snow rooms.