Never too much Eaton Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This was last Sunday, 5/16. Had a nice sized group. I've run this canyon half a dozen times - this was the first time post-fire, and I was anxious to see the changes.

Yes, there is no more jumping and swimming. :cry: But it's still an amazingly beautiful place, and very fun canyon. The sand actually makes for easy walking in the "long slog" - the middle section of stream hiking that used to be the least desirable part of the day, but this time was hardly noticed.

The pot smoking kids who are usually sliding the second to last waterfall were not sliding this day - smart enough to have checked the depth of the pool first, most likely, and it's a good thing!

This log is NEW!! Look how high up this thing is!

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That log is pretty cool. I'm going to do this sometime in June, I think.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

I could imagine some gangster tagging his name on that log. yet, a picture of a mountain silhouette would also be awesome
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

TacoDelRio wrote:That log is pretty cool. I'm going to do this sometime in June, I think.
Let me know if you want company. I'd go!
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Great pics, cougarmagic. I've only done Eaton once, but hopefully I'll get to go again this year.

Btw, when I did Eaton in 2008 that big log was there. It looks like its been there for a while.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

GigaMike wrote:Btw, when I did Eaton in 2008 that big log was there. It looks like its been there for a while.
No way! That's amazing - I never noticed it before!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

cougarmagic wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:That log is pretty cool. I'm going to do this sometime in June, I think.
Let me know if you want company. I'd go!
Cool beans. I'll ask my friend who's organizing it.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

looks great...nice amount of water. Im still loyal to Eaton :) I pledge allegiance to the Gully narrows and the narrow ledge under the waterfall on which I stand(err..crouch).

Hows 'The Pool' looking? no swimming?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The pool under the Slide of Faith was a swimmer - but no one checked the depth.

I think pretty much everywhere else we could touch bottom and still have our heads above water.

I'm still weirded out about the middle section - seemed like a whole different place. Beautiful - just different!