Henninger Flats: 05-22-2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up through Henninger Flats on Saturday and noticed that it is finally open for camping! It's been closed to camping for years (since 2005 land slide blocked the Toll Road I think). Anyway, there was a large group of 30 to 40 people camped out in the upper campground. The "non-potable" water signs are gone too. Don't know if this is old news or not but figured I'd post it.

Pics of my stroll around the area including the heliport area on the ridge above the Flats.

What's this thing...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Nice pics! By the way, I saw a bunch of freshly picked over deer bones at the upper section of Henninger last week. Fresh bear scat too. The scouts aren't the only ones camping out there... :shock: :D
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Wow, looked like a perfect day. nice picture albums.
those objects look like they are a part of some wind or temperature measure. obvious. they also could be giant mouse traps. what if i know..
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

moppychris wrote:they also could be giant mouse traps.
That'd be cool...a giant mouse. Hey Cougarmagic...set up your camera trap!

Cougarmagic: I think there definitely is a bear hanging out at Henninger. I saw some rather large piles of scat on Saturday on the path up to the upper campground.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeUp-

We stayed a couple of nights in the upper campground in April. The ranger (LA County Fire person) told us that there was a bear who paid regular, almost nightly, visits to the campground but was easily frightened away. The bear didn't visit us on either night, though.