Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak, 15 May 2010

TRs for ranges in California.
simonov

Post by simonov »

This weekend I led my fourth outing with the local after school program. We scheduled an exploratory climb along the Mishe Mokwa Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area west of Malibu.

I was pleasantly surprised by this spectacular hike through some of the most interesting and exciting topography in California's coastal mountains. The trail basically loops around the north of the Boney Mountain/Sandstone Peak massif before climbing up to a sort of small, high plateau covered with dense chaparral and accented by jutting rock formations, joining the Backbone Trail. It is really beautiful.

Most important of all, the kids really seemed to have had a good time, despite some challenging aspects of the trail, which alternately climbs and plunges steeply as it makes its way to Sandstone Peak, the highest point in the Santa Monica Mountains. Everyone made it to the top, and took justifiable pride in what for most was their first summit climb of any kind.

It was a gorgeous day, but a little warm. I wouldn't expect to come back here until the autumn. It would be a good cool weather hike, especially on a clear winter day.

Moar photos!
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice! That's a great area over there. I bet those kids were loving it.

HJ
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Nice report and pictures Mr. Simonov. Any sign of rattlers ?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Elwood wrote:Nice report and pictures Mr. Simonov. Any sign of rattlers ?
There was "sign" all right. We found a cast-off snakeskin by the trail. Otherwise, no live snakes, but dozens of live lizards.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great pictures Mitch, good job of helping the kids, keep me posted on the next one, I may tag along to help.

I have to get over there in the fall when it's cooler.
simonov

Post by simonov »

lilbitmo wrote:Great pictures Mitch, good job of helping the kids, keep me posted on the next one, I may tag along to help.
I'll try to remember to remind you: we'll be doing Bridge to Nowhere on 19 June.
Nunc est bibendum
James

Post by James »

Nice photos, one of my favorite local hikes, especially in spring. It can alternate between warm and sunny and dense fog in minutes. The fog helps when it gets hot out there. Did you take the little side trail to Inspiration Point? It has the 180 view of the ocean with the plaque and podium pointing out the Channel Islands and Mt. Baldy, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

James wrote:Did you take the little side trail to Inspiration Point? It has the 180 view of the ocean with the plaque and podium pointing out the Channel Islands and Mt. Baldy, etc.
Yes, we made it to Inspiration Point. I had to cajole the kids into doing it because they were tired and not really interested in side trips. But the views are excellent and they were glad they went there.
Nunc est bibendum
norma r

Post by norma r »

You've got some awesome photos there Mitch! :D I like the one looking down at the climbers at Echo Cliffs. Glad you and the kids had such a good day and that they enjoyed being able to claim a summit. The views from there are awesome, especially after a storm when the islands feel so close you can touch them and you can see the San Gab's and San G.

That's very impressive that you volunteer and give your time to those students. Kudos to YOU! :D
mve

Post by mve »

Great TR Mitch and yes, "Mishe" is a great place to take kids to -- not too hard of a trail and lots of "cool" things to have them look forward to when the going gets too hot ...

And you are absolutely right "cool weather hike" on this trail is just awesome. Here is a picture from just such a day: