20100516 FRC Rappelling

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Took my buddy Johnny out for more rappelling.

Some pics:

Flow in FRC

Johnny on the first step

Fooling around with tools

First rapp

2nd

Tacticool adventure man

Moi, before I go 100mph down the rope. Love the Reverso 3. Gotta put yer brake hand out in front to go fast, as there's a ton of friction on a 10.3

Me on the Jungle Rapp. Slow on the first rapp (get the line outta the tree), fly down on #2.

Can anyone ID this plant?
They sting like mad. Or, at least I think this is the one that grows near water that looks just like it that stings like crap. I avoid them.

Later, some pew pew
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

TacoDelRio wrote:They sting like mad. Or, at least I think this is the one that grows near water that looks just like it that stings like crap.
That would be Stinging Nettle. "The leaves and stems are very hairy with non-stinging hairs and also bear many stinging hairs (trichomes), whose tips come off when touched, transforming the hair into a needle that will inject several chemicals: acetylcholine, histamine, 5-HT or serotonin, and possibly formic acid." :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

Great pics. Looks like a cool practice spot.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Rambo part 16, I'll have to hit some of that rapelling with you soon I need to learn those skills, thanks for sharing that - could you still see snow further up FRC? :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS THANKS J!!!!!!!!!! I thought it might be nettle! Bastard plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick, I couldn't see anything. I'm all snowed out! There's still plenty on Ontario, up high.

Come on down next time. We do this nearly every sunday.
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

Nice pics! Looks like fun

I haven't been in a few years..ever rappelled off the abandoned bridge off of the 330 to Running Springs? It is about a 100 ft free rappel down into a creek bed..

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have not. Gonna hafta give that one a shot. Thanks for the heads up.