Icehouse - Bighorn - Ontario - Kelly's Camp

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Feeling the need for a San Gabriel's high country stroll, I set out for Ontario Peak yesterday morning. I arrived at a pleasantly quiet Icehouse trailhead parking lot at 0637 and was quickly underway. Between the trailhead and the saddle I passed four hikers, and was myself passed by a couple of trail runners. There were a few groups of campers scattered about Icehouse Saddle where I stopped to don crampons and axe. One was occasionally playing his digideroo(?). Attempts to follow the mostly snow-covered Kelly's camp / Ontario peak trail proved fruitless, so I opted to head straight up and over Bighorn Peak. This 830 foot ascent might have been marginally easier in showshoes due to the softening snow. After traversing the driest section of the ridgeline in boots, it was back to crampons until back at Icehouse Saddle. Both mountain tops were devoid of people and sadly, other large mammals. Interestingly, there were thousands of ladybugs crawling about in the snow. As at the saddle, the upper trail was covered in snow, so I headed straight down the gully between Ontario and Bighorn, which I knew to land right in Kelly's Camp. The route from Kelly's back to the saddle was a little tricky. The trail route was very steep in spots and completely covered in snow. I took a brief stop at Icehouse Saddle to wring out my soaked socks and liners, followed by a pleasant, albeit toasty hike down Chapman trail, then back to the jeep.

A surprisingly quiet Icehouse Canyon parking lot at 0635.

Morning sun lighting up the top of the canyon.

Timber Mountain, viewed from partway up Bighorn's north slope.

Oh, the humanity! Where has all the snow gone?

Typical snow condition, above Icehouse Saddle.

Cucamonga Canyon and Smith Ridge.

Bighorn Peak, 8441 MSL, looking towards Ontario's false summits.

Pretty crag between Bighorn and Ontario.

Weather-worn sign for 7W08A.

Cucamonga Peak and the Bighorn - Ontario ridge.

Ontario's north face, looking towards Telegraph and San Antonio.

Ontario Peak, 8655 MSL, looking southwest.

Cloud shadows on Old Baldy were very interesting, all day.

Kelly's Camp, winter wonderland.

This boulder, ~ 60 inches tall recently decided that it didn't like its former location.

GPS track and elevation profile.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yesterday, I was out that way too (just did the Chapman Trail due to time constraints). Great hiking weather.

Good photos. Thanks for the post,

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D beautiful photos Elwood! i went up IHC last Tuesday to Bighorn and was the only car in the lot at 6:30 am. like you, found ourselves the only ones on the summit. i always love the beauty of that canyon and especially when it is so quiet.
simonov

Post by simonov »

That was quite a hike! I tried getting out to Kelly's Camp a few weeks ago, but found it hopeless trying to make a path through the snow. I wish I thought of going straight up, as you did.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Elwood, Jake takes some great pictures, Love that lonely tree on Ontario, it’s always looking for someone to come keep it company, guess it was your turn.

Dave G and I came across millions of Lady Bugs at the base of Falling Rock Canyon both times we were there this winter and I’ve run into the same thing on the Bear Flat Trail right where it comes out of Bear Flat and goes back into the shade on the way down to the trail head. Must be breading grounds all over the front range in the Baldy area?

Elwood, how slick was that snow between Kelly’s Camp and the Ice House Saddle? How deep in the shade?

And how did you get so lucky not to be trampled over by the masses on that trial?

Lastly, did you see any of the painted trees or rocks on the either Ice House Canyon Trail or the Chapman trail?

Taco have you been shooting at the folks on Ice House Canyon Trail again? :D :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Maybe.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting them - that one of the Baldy Bowl sure looks steep, hate bringing it up but maybe it's because of the disappearing snow :cry: I like snow, it even smells good
:) Also really liked the picture, looking down on the city, interesting juxtaposition.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Thanks for the kind words regarding the pictures. I really do enjoy taking and sharing them. The snow between Icehouse Saddle and Kelly's was just firm enough for comfortable bite in crampons, without having to roll the feet to match grade. Deepest snow up top was around 60" - 72", at Kelly's more like 24" to 36". I descended Chapman rather than Icehouse proper to enjoy the extra mileage and avoid the throngs of the canyon bottom. The orange and white paint markers on trees and rocks were infuriating. I was half hoping to spot one of the painters and take them to task for defiling our forest.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice work, Elwood. Thanks for posting. But you're right, where has all that snow gone to?