Baldy Bowl (5/8/2010)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Though the majority of the bowl is now dry, I managed to follow a finger of snow straight up to the crest. Here is my trip report.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That song makes Baby Jesus cry.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Sam,

How's the N. side holding up?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

EManBevHills wrote:How's the N. side holding up?
I did peek over the north side of Mt. Baldy, and everything I saw was completely covered in snow.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

The SA Ridge from yesterday:

Still a fair amount of snow to the north.
(Photo by Phil)
mve

Post by mve »

Sam,

If I wanted to take the regular Ski Hut trail all the way to the Summit would I still need crampons or is there a way to make it to the top using the dry land?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

mve wrote:If I wanted to take the regular Ski Hut trail all the way to the Summit would I still need crampons or is there a way to make it to the top using the dry land?
As far as I could tell last Saturday, the ski hut trail was covered in snow from the bottom of the bowl to the summit. Some people who hiked up in late morning reported not needing crampons, but the snow I was on was rock hard from 6AM-8AM. If I were to hike the ski hut trail now, I would still bring crampons and an ice axe.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

mve wrote:Sam,

If I wanted to take the regular Ski Hut trail all the way to the Summit would I still need crampons or is there a way to make it to the top using the dry land?
I did Baldy via Register Ridge last Saturday, and came down via the "regular Ski Hut trail". With few exceptions, that trail is mostly snowcovered down to the hut.

I had both microspikes and crampons, and used the microspikes on the way down. It's not that they were needed all the time, but when you entered shady areas there were some icy spots.
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks for the good intel Sam and Kevin! I guess we'll wait few more weeks ...