Liebre Mt.-3/12/08

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

I took the PCT up Liebre Mt. yesterday in the wind. About 30 minutes into the hike, I came across the first of many, many trees blown down on the trail. There must have been an incredible wind storm in the last few months because the area looked like a bomb had hit. It was impossible to stay on the trail and quite an adventure navigating through the mess. At the Boy Scout trail camp, new signs had been erected and the table/bench has been repaired by a boy scout troop.
At the top, I walked the road down to Bear Camp, where I talked to a Forest Service guy that was in the area surveying all the damage from the downed trees. I told him about the area further down the PCT, and he went down to look. He said there is a new forest suprvisor in this area and that some long neglected maintenace is going to happen.
I hope the trees are cleared before the PCT hikers come through in May. Personally, I would hate to have to climb through & around all the trees with a heavy pack.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Terry Morse wrote:He said there is a new forest suprvisor in this area and that some long neglected maintenace is going to happen.
WOO HOO! :P
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We were up on Liebre Mountain in Movember of last year. A ton of trees were down before the camp area. It appears that most of those trees were already dead from the fire of 2005 (?)

On a side note, I highly recommend this as a fall hike. The colors were incredible. This area is fairly unique in the Angeles NF with both the gray pine and chestnut trees located in this area.