Baldy Bowl (4/17/2010)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Patrick Moran and I climbed Baldy Bowl yesterday, summitting at 7:15AM. The snow conditions were perfect for cramponning.

Here is my trip report.
norma r

Post by norma r »

great TR Sam! i always laugh along with you. but you left me hanging... did Patrick ever find his camera? or was it sacrificed to the Snow Gods as Dave G did on San J earlier this season?
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

i wondered about that too Norma
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Patrick's camera is MIA.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sam, great report, it was nice to have the whole mountain to ourselves on the way up, snow conditions that early were perfect. Nice to run into Kurt W. a second time.

Camera is with the mountain gods - posted on the general subjects a "lost and found" wish :cry:

I did however pull out my phone at the summit to use the camera in it
Sam is pulling out some food for a snack as the "long Shadow" of the early morning looks over him to West Baldy
Looking East
Sam is enjoying his view of Baden Powell and his snack :D

End of snow season for Baldy Bowl is almost here :(
norma r

Post by norma r »

lilbitmo wrote:End of snow season for Baldy Bowl is almost here :(
hey, next Wednesday is a Full Moon. just a thought, maybe we should plan a SGMF final hurrah with a full moon snow hike. anyone interested? Taco, Bueller, anyone?...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:End of snow season for Baldy Bowl is almost here :(
hey, next Wednesday is a Full Moon. just a thought, maybe we should plan a SGMF final hurrah with a full moon snow hike. anyone interested? Taco, Bueller, anyone?...
Depending on the weather (it's perdicting rain that afternoon into the evening but that's 10 days out and we know how much that can change) I'm willing to go either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening. Don't want to go see a full moon hidden in the rainy clouds if I can help it. Let's find out what time it's supposed to be at it's "appex" and plan accordingly :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

lilbitmo wrote:...Let's find out what time it's supposed to be at it's "appex" and plan accordingly :D
"apex" ok :)
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Norma: I might be up for a full moon climb. Keep me posted.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:...Let's find out what time it's supposed to be at it's "appex" and plan accordingly :D
"apex" ok :)
My typing at work is a little on the fast side sometimes - an extra "p" never hurt anyone - especially on the trail :wink:

I was hoping to time the summit with the brightest fullest moon disk possible - here's some beta from google searches

Apr. 28, 8:18 a.m. EDT -- Full Pink Moon. The grass pink or wild ground phlox is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names were the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and -- among coastal tribes -- the Full Fish Moon, when the shad come upstream to spawn.

April's Full Pink Moon?
Comes from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, one of earliest widespread wildflowers of spring.

April 28th, 2010
Moonrise 9:10 pm
Moon set 5:41 am - Thursday morning

You can find out more at this website - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... moon&n=137 which will show the complete moon activity for the next 7 days - I'll update it on Thursday :wink: :roll:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Got some good weather coming in.

I'm interested.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Nice work guys.....
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Sorry to hear about the camera. Wasn't there a tent that had the same fate a month ago? I wonder if anyone found it yet.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Great job guys! Don't know if you noticed but I was in a tent about 200' up from the ski hut. We heard you guys come through in the morning.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

taktical wrote:Don't know if you noticed but I was in a tent about 200' up from the ski hut. We heard you guys come through in the morning.
Yup. We kept gazing back down at your (orange?) tent for some reason. We didn't see it until we were halfway up the bowl. Was there a bivy sack next to your tent? Or a log?
taktical

Post by taktical »

Yup. My friend spent the night in his BD bipod bivy a little ways up from me.