Devil's Punchbowl, almost to Burkhart Saddle

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

My plan for the day was to hike over Burkhart Saddle, down to Buckhorn Campground, then to return via the same route. Unfortunately, I reached a point short of mile-marker 5 (these count up from Buckhorn) which I deemed to dangerous to cross. I had already donned crampons, and crossed a bunch of firm, steep snow, but a misstep on this next patch could've been my last. I'm sure there are some SGMDFers who wouldn't have thought twice about proceeding. I also considered traipsing up one of Will Thrall's gullies, then down to the saddle, sad truth being that the axe was in the car back at the punchbowl.

Weather was absolutely perfect. I chatted with a biker who had pedaled over from South Fork and was headed towards the saddle, and passed another half dozen hikers on the lower segment of 10W09. By the time I returned to the trailhead, the parking lot was full of Puncbowl visitors. I had a nice chat with the County Sheriff patrolling the lot, a fellow amateur radio operator. The visitor's center has a beautiful collection of live local reptiles, including several Rattlesnakes. Following my visit there, it was back to Simi Valley. Since it was still early in the day, I took the Forest Highway back to Big Tujunga Canyon Road. This particular drive was rather disheartening as it was my first view of the canyon's complete destruction by the Station Fire. Contrast this with my drive last weekend through Little Tujunga Canyon, from Osborne Street to Placerita. 'Little T' looked relatively unscathed.

Empty parking lot at the punchbowl, 0617.

Daybreak, mountains, snow, manzanita.

Where shall we go today?

Windmill near the locked gate, where the trail turns south.

Overexposed view towards the saddle, from a point above the creek bed.

Another view up-canyon.

Cruther's Creek, flowing very nicely.

Burkhart Saddle, from somewhere below mile marker 5.

My turnaround point.

A still snowy saddle.

Eastern end of Will Thrall Peak, abutting Burkhart Saddle.

GPS track and elevation profile.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Elwood, thanks for the trip report, good to see some decent snow on the northside of the range.