Double Iron

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Michael T contacted me a week ago to see whether I'd be interested in hiking Iron Mt # 1 from Heaton Flat twice in a day. I am not sure why I accepted. Perhaps I was struggling with guilt, and felt the need to administer the stern and senseless self-punishment that only two ascents of Iron Mt can provide. Perhaps I was just foolish.

Regardless of the reason, we started hiking from Heaton Flat at 4:30 AM on April 10. I had slept only five hours the night before and felt very sleepy, but Michael had slept only one hour! I have no idea how he stayed awake. To conserve energy for the second trip, and because we (or at least I) were not very athletic, we chose a moderate and gentle pace, arriving at the summit 3:38 later at 8:08. The second ascent took 3:48, mainly because my energy flagged during the final 1000'. The descent was slow but uneventful, except for several slips on the loose terrain. The slow descent, combined with a 35 minute break between hikes, brought us back to the cars around 8:45 PM. We both felt reasonably well given the circumstances.

A number of people were out-and-about on the trail, some going to Iron Mt and some going to the Allison Mine. The route to Iron Mt was almost snow-free, with no crampons or axe needed - although of course a new storm is supposed to arrive soon.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I saw you yesterday. You past us on your way down on your first trip, then we saw you again on your way up on the second. I was the one that asked you what you were training for. Good job!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

hehe, nice job! how do your quads feel today? :twisted:
lakenyon wrote:I had slept only five hours the night before and felt very sleepy, but Michael had slept only one hour!
gee, Michael on 1 hr sleep? reminds me of BH ridge...
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

You guys must be made of "iron", twice in one day is total madness, congratulations.

Was there still much snow on the traverse to Mt Baldy?
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

hvdrt, nice to meet you yesterday.

Zé, my quads and all other body parts feel fine. But I'm still sleepy. Despite the 1 hour of sleep, Michael hiked like he had 8 hours.

Phil B, the south side of San Antonio Ridge is dry, the north side is still snowy. I couldn't tell the condition of Gunsight Notch or other details. The climb to West Baldy still held snow.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Phil B wrote:Was there still much snow on the traverse to Mt Baldy?
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Wish i would have joined you. Some FREAK (i won't mention names) leaked our SC climb and we were ambushed saturday morning. too bad peeps can't SHUT UP.
Nice TR Lee....keep me posted on your next hardcore trip.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice way to spend a day.