Burro Peak and West Fork of San Gabriel River

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Went out with TacoDelRio for a quick jaunt up Burro Peak. Walking down the embankment to the river and along its shoreline we were confronted with the most disgusting scene: beer bottles, trash bags full of trash, chairs, clothes, towels, gold panning equipment, and yes... at least 3 dirty diapers. WTF!!!!! It was outrageous. Our wilderness is not a single fucking use item! Anyways, the hike was cool, a lot of bush-wacking that gives way to amazing views of the entire west fork of the SG River. Saw lots of wildlife too: 2 horny toads, 2 good sized garter snakes, blue jays, centipede. It was even warm enough out to take a little swim in the river afterwards. :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

you swam around dirty diapers?!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

u sound suprised to find all that rubbish :wink:
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Does Ryan carry gamma globulin in his 1st aide kit?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, gotta update the FAK (First Aide Kit). Seriously. I don't want some nastyass crap in my system simply from swimming there, and I ain't giving up swimming yet.

Too cold for this ice pirate to swim yesterday, but the Canadian got some, and couldn't feel anything afterwards.

Turns out our highpoint is un-named... we need a name for it. Elevation of the highpoint was 3,585ft. I'm thinking Bichota Mountain, since there's Bichota Mesa and Bichota Canyon at its' foot, and that Bich ota have a name by now.

Pics up soon.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

TacoDelRio wrote:Turns out our highpoint is un-named... we need a name for it. Elevation of the highpoint was 3,585ft. I'm thinking Bichota Mountain, since there's Bichota Mesa and Bichota Canyon at its' foot, and that Bich ota have a name by now.
Pics up soon.
How's that other Bich ota's knee doing? :D Good to see you out again, diapers and all :cry:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Knees felt great yesterday! Very happy about that. Awaiting results from X-rays and whatnot.

Made a couple of SP pages:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Peak.html
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

Photos:
ID!

Zach ROCK MAN

Climbing up the start of the ridge

Zach on some rock

Zach on the ridge

Second garter snake we saw

Burro Cyn, with the killhouse in the lower right. Gotta go there.

Panorama

Firebreak marker 26 on summit of Burro 3200

Heading to Bichota Peak 3585

These dudes spread out and flatten their rib cages to appear big. They don't squirt blood out of their eyes, or at least they've never done it to me, despite catching a ton of them over the years. Love these guys. The look on his face makes me think he should be wearing a tux, top hat, and a monacle.

Zach and Reservoir

Doe Peak

Zach on Bichota Summit

Bottles, probably left by a fire crew

A fern, pretty high and dry.

Old Helo LZ marker? Grown over. ID anyone?

Tecate on the way down. I think it's near the summit of Burro, or on the ridge home.

Heading home

Strange dark rock

Overlook

Almost there

Zach being cold
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice guys! Thanks for the pictures.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

nice panamora there sir despite having to see the West Fork SG river twice. Looks like Smith is very accessible now from the south. We will get the non-rappel version of Smith East done someday somehow, I dont care if its quadruple closed.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Going down the "Lost Face" on Smith? Should be going UP it!