Falling Rock and Disneyland

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

Im goiung to repost these more in order, and with a TR and some captions, just not tonight. these are fun to look at though so I thought I stick them up. Norma, a friend of Normas, Mark Irving, and Fernando and I went up Falling Rock Canyon, Sugarloaf, Ontario Peak and a bunch of "nothing bumps"

http://bluerail.smugmug.com/Other/Falli ... 4972_SgmyU

Helmet glissade

..and Taco, I hate to say it but Normas more fun to hike with than you are.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice pix, bluerail!
Looks like a fun time.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

All I can say is niceeeeeeee :D :D :D

Fern is a Pole hugging animal and he's growing boobs on his head :shock:

Did you guys exit out through Ice House Saddle or did you cut down one of the other canyons (Norma you would know)?

Looks like another fun day in the San Gabriels.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:cry:
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

oh your alot of fun buddy, dont fret....

we went over almost to the saddle and down through another canyon very close to the saddle..beautiful area. great trip. will put a tr when work doesnt have me nuts.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Hey Steve, I don't mind sharing our local mtns with you Desert Folk, but tell Fern he's gonna need to get a special Tree Climbing Permit next time for these kinds of antics. :lol:

GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

fernando will do anything! :lol:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

WTF? Did Fern get a new pack?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

God damn Dave, that avatar... extra points, sir. Extra points.

You're all nucking futs!
norma r

Post by norma r »

TacoDelRio wrote:God damn Dave, that avatar... extra points, sir. Extra points.
HeeHee! sometimes you never know what you're gonna find in a register box! i took that lovely shot of the G-man on our dreary rainy-day summit of Iron in Jan '09. who knew rain could make you loopy? :P

i've been working and haven't had time to post my pix, but since i'm here i just have to say that the hike on Sunday with Steve, Fern and Mark was WayTooMuchFun!! hopefully i can get to those pix & a TR tomorrow since i have more incriminating evidence to share.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

:lol: that there is some funny chit
norma r

Post by norma r »

Since Steve titled his TR Ontario Peak and Disneyland and I have chosen to go with the flow and call my WebAlbum, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Hiking with Steve and Fernando was nothing short of a wild ride into the beautiful San Gab's. If the French philosopher Pascal is correct, “That a man's true nature lies in motion, without which we die.” It can be believed that Fernando will live forever! :shock:

Trying to take advantage of firm snow in the early a.m. hours Steve, Fernando and I got off to an alpine start by 6am. Unfortunately, Mark had forgotten to set his clock forward and when he still had not arrived by 6am we were off. Hiking Falling Rock Canyon is a pleasure in daylight but for me, trying to locate it and hiking up it in darkness proved “interesting.” When we reached the first waterfall I thought it looked as if we could just go around by climbing the rocks to the left. Unknowingly, I was taking the boys up the Sam Page named Falling Fir Ridge. It was Class3 rock from the get-go and we already had crampons on so we used the steel to our advantage climbing the rock. At one point, Steve took a look over the ridge toward FRC and determined it not climbable and it was at least an hour of continuing up before I found a spot where we could descend. I was feeling guilty for taking the guys off-route, but they thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of climbing Class3 with little light. After making our way over the ridge, we first crossed a snow slope that Dave G said was probably the beginning of Fir Draw and continued a downhill traverse until we entered FRC. It was no time until we saw the slope that leads to the Sugarloaf Saddle and up we went. Fernando got so far ahead that we saw him waiting up near the saddle for us, so I yelled out “Why don't you glissade down and practice self-arrest?” He did and flew by us and ended up climbing the slope a second time and beating us up again! Dang, I would like a tenth of his energy.

We tagged Sugarloaf and then headed back to the saddle and up the ridge to Ontario. As we ascended the ridge, Steve saw a hiker ahead and we caught up to Mark, who had arrived at the TH at 6:30am and hiked FRC thinking he was trailing us. After introductions, we all continued on and since it was the guys first time up there they were blown away by the vastness of the Ontario bowl and the unique view of the forest of snags standing tall in the blanket of white.

On the summit we enjoyed Fernando's nimble climb of the summit tree with his crampons on and lunch with a view of the SG Valley. We opted to traverse the ridge east toward Bighorn glissading as the slopes allowed and stood in disbelief at Fernando's death-defying Helmet Glissade. We descended via a gulley short of the Icehouse Cyn Saddle and had a pleasant walk back to the cars.

This was my first time hiking with Steve, Fern and Mark and we had a great time together and I thank you Tina for loaning out “your boys” to me. ;)
You guys ROCK!

my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... dRide31410#