Helmets for winter hiking: Why and which one?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The helmet is to protect yer melon from getting hit by any manner of falling shit from any source, direction, etc. Certain chutes in the Bowl really demand it, while others (like the northern half) don't, as there's often nothing falling down. Steep local routes really demand a helmet.

If it falls, wear a helmet.

I suggest the Camp Armor. Super comfy. I don't own one yet. I use the same Petzl whatevertheheck that everyone uses. Works great, and it's light.

Make sure you buy something new, something that fits yer head with whatever levels of insulation you plan on wearing, and something that has little strap-holdy-thingies for your headlamp.

Cheers!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

also, anytime you are within 300 ft of Taco in any direction. a helmet is a must
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote:also, anytime you are within 300 ft of Taco in any direction. a helmet is a must
On the contrary, it's much safer when I'm around, as all the rocks are attracted to me.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Do these rocks ever approach head level? I've seen lots of rocks go whizzing by but on snow (up to about 40 degrees) they're always more of an ankle risk than head.
Zach

Post by Zach »

jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Now we're talkin'! Hydration-enabled!

Seriously though...

I've done some internet searches and come across a few articles and lots of S&R reports. It may be my search terms but most of the head injuries reported are not from rocks hitting the head, rather the head hitting hard things after falls when rock climbing or out-of-control glissades and snow climbing falls. I'm thinking that I should look for helmets that are more aimed at protecting the skull/brain in falls than from rocks hitting me in the head.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yes. I have been hit in the head by rocks a bunch of times (while wearing my helmet), though they've all been baseball sized or smaller.

Now, while climbing something steep, you're leaning into the slope, so your head is now at hip level (or whatever). Climb something steeper, and your head is now close to the slop.

Also, SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for me while climbing something steep.. when I hear rockfall, or it is otherwise indicated that shit is coming m way and I can't GTFO (get the f*ck out) of the way, I hug the slope, looking straight at it, arms in, making myself as small a target as possible, with my helmet doing the protecting. This is my SOP on very steep ground. (IE not the Bowl).

Bottom line is, if things fall, wear a helmet. In mountaineering, you might find yourself taking a different way home, or having to ascend a different route/slope/whatever due to conditions changing over a short period of time.

Your mileage may vary. This may be a very personal topic for many people. I ten to climb different routes than 90% of San Gabriel climbers, and my helmet is very important to me.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Your first four choices are the same, as far as I'm concerned. If you are climbing a snow slope, rockfall or icefall are issues.

And naturally a helmet is useful if you plan on falling off a mountain, to protect your head.

As for looking like a god, helmets make me look like a dork:
Nunc est bibendum
obie

Post by obie »

Is it bad form to show up at Baldy Bowl wearing a bicycle helmet?

I'm serious because what I've noted about the 'Mountaineering' helmets you folks wear is the lack of ventilation. I'm thinking about using a bike helmet in the warmer months until someone laughs a bit much or simply asks me to drape a Tibetan flag over it or whatever.

My bike helmet is well ventilated and can, as recent experience shows, withstand some pretty good shots to the noggin.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

obie wrote:Is it bad form to show up at Baldy Bowl wearing a bicycle helmet?

I'm serious because what I've noted about the 'Mountaineering' helmets you folks wear is the lack of ventilation. I'm thinking about using a bike helmet in the warmer months until someone laughs a bit much or simply asks me to drape a Tibetan flag over it or whatever.

My bike helmet is well ventilated and can, as recent experience shows, withstand some pretty good shots to the noggin.
If you can get hit on the head with a rock with it and still keep on truckin', it's probably fine.

There's often less ventilation on climbing helmets so that there are fewer places for spindrift to pile up on your head and freeze you to death. :lol:
obie

Post by obie »

TacoDelRio wrote: There's often less ventilation on climbing helmets so that there are fewer places for spindrift to pile up on your head and freeze you to death. :lol:
Yep, that's what I figured. Thought maybe I could slide thru the hot months with the bike brainbucket - my budget's lean and I don't even have my boots and sticks yet. :?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I wouldn't eve worry about it. most of the routes most mountaineers climb in the SG's don't have a heck of a lot of spindrift flowing over your head, and if/when it happens, it'll just be a minor discomfort. You should be fine as long as the helmet keeps the red and grey stuff inside yer noggin!