Got Zen! 2.2.10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Jim (Calicokat) and i did a hike up Zen Chute yesterday. We pretty much had the whole mountain to ourselves. That's a first, except for the time i did a midnight hike with Dave G last year. We ran into Bruno coming down the east bowl as we were ascending and he walked over to say Hi and tell us it's windy at the summit. We never saw another soul all day.

We found the snow in good condition though a little soft mid-bowl. Just before topping out on Zen, clouds came in and we found ourselves in a white-out. The walk to the summit was in the clouds, but during the last 50 feet the clouds blew away. Summit was 20-30 mph winds.

Had a great glissade back down the east bowl all the way to the creek before the ski hut. somewhere along the way my blue goggles with yellow lenses fell off my pack. If anyone sees them, send me a pm. thanx.

Of note... walking down the ski hut trail, Jim saw something red. i took a photo of it and upon zooming in we saw it was a pair of red plastic MSR Denali snowshoes, like the ones i have. anyone loose a pair this season? we did not take them since we didn't want to down climb the 50+ft of loose slope.

We were fortunate that the clouds hovered and the temps chilled so the trail back down was soft but not the slush-fest we were expecting. a great day on the mountain!

L.A. never saw Baldy today

Jim getting Zen

checking out the Falls Road Glacier

rest of the pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma81/ZenChute3210#
hamik

Post by hamik »

Norma,

I think someone from the CAC lost them. Could you let me know roughly where they are? I'll try to pick them up next time I'm on the hill.

Alternatively, if anyone else sees them, if you could get them and drop them off at the lost and found at the visitor center in Baldy Village, I (the club, more accurately) would be extremely grateful. Let me know if you see 'em. Thanks!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Looks like you're getting the "hang" of The Bowl -- as well as your new camera, Norma! :roll:

Jim, was the route about "Zen and the Art of Crampon Maintenance"?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the report Norma - you've been doing some great climbing. I'm looking at heading up baldy tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes open for your goggles.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Naice!
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

Great pictures Norma, looks like it was a nice trip.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Sweeeeet. Those pics aren't too bad either :)
norma r

Post by norma r »

thanks everyone! it was a fun climb and fun day. i am still getting used to my camera. turns out it's smarter than me! :shock:

Hamik, i'll pm you with location of 'shoes.

Kathy, thanks for keeping an eye out for the goggles. they are old and kinda corny looking, but they still come in handy. here's a photo of them:
if they are found you can drop them at the Visitor Center with my name and i'll pick them up when next up there.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Nice report and photos.

I'm going to give Baldy a try tomorrow.

Jim
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

You're a mountaineering machine, Norma! Good luck reconnecting with your goggles.