fish canyon falls----03-08-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

my daughter and i woke up at 6am sat.morning and headed out to check out this waterfall in fish canyon. we make it to duarte and without a problem find vulcan and we park and sigh in. [715 am] we are the third on the list.we jump in a van with another hiker and her young daughter.
less than 5 minutes later we get dropped off at the gate where the trail begins.from there we slowly make our way along the path.no hurries and no worries.we stop and look at flowers and we poke around the old sopts where the cabins used to be...it musta been nice back in the days..
there are a few spots where the trail gets narrow and its easier on my mind if i carry my daughter on my shoulders..if she were to slip she would get real hurt.i dont take chances..shes rather walk and gets mad.
we pass quite a few spots that would be fun in the summer. one good thing about winter hiking is there are lil to no bugs.i forgot how annoying it is to have mosquitos and lil flies buzzing in your ears and going up your nose and into your eyes....not as bad as it sounds but still..
we pass the lil side stream where darling donna falls should be,we head up the lil stream and sure enough there she was...not very big but my daughter liked it anyways..it was fun climbing the 75 yards up the mess of
leaves and rocks and branches and bugs lots of bugs. we made it back to the trail and kept going about 20 minutes and we made it to the waterfalls
very nice..very nice..there were a few people there enjoying the day so we found a nice spot and had a sandwich and some juice.it started getting crowded very crowded.people stated showing up with paint buckets and brushes..[grafitti removal] ..this place needed some cleaning..damn taggers made the rocks look like shit..if i ever catch one of those fools messing up these mountains im going to kick some tail...anyways
we made it back without incident.the van was waiting with the AC on
we signed out and drove home..we walked in the door by 11am
in the shower i felt some lil bumps on groin area.my first thought was wtf
some lil pimples or some shit..but nope..they were ticks...damn
i heard about these lil bastards but i never dealt with them before.
i got tweezers and pulled them out.lil devils didnt want to let go.
my daughter had some on her head and it was a bitch taking em out.
all in all we had fun and im glad i finally got to see that place.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Very cool trip. Sorry about the ticks. That sux. Little chance of it, but if you see a "bulls eye" shaped red blotch (i.e. a large center blotch with a mostly separate ring around it), you should see a Doctor ASAP (or sooner :D). Seriouly, Lyme disease has reached California. It's really rare, but if you see that bulls eye blotch, that is very not good.

So, how does this van thing work? I know for a while there was no access at all, then access only on certain scheduled weekends. What's the scoop now? Are they (Vulcan) letting people in more freqently? Is there a website you can refer me to? Appreciate any info you can give me.

HJ
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Very cool. Thanks for the link. Sounds like the next access date is April 19. Sounds like they're doing it once a month? Not bad. I remember getting chased off when I tried it some years ago before they started allowing access. :D
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

this is me jumping the lower falls that same day...
He219

Post by He219 »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:this is me jumping the lower falls that same day...
Nice pose there Dudley!
:lol: