20100213 Horse Canyon-ish

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Howdy guys.

Started off the day heading to Rattlesnake Peak to do some training, namely a "secret" long-ish rappel to and from a terrain trap, focusing on more "urban anchors" for a one man rap in full gear.

No cigar. R39 was getting some new barrier thingies put up that were burned down by the fire, and the trucks were getting dirt from Shoemaker Canyon Road.

Went further back to East Fork Road, descended into East Fork at a certain point. Crossed the river a few times. VERY cold water, and my guess at depth is somewhere around 5 feet, I guess. Water was moving very quickly. It may not be deep, but with 50-60lbs of gear on, alone, without a trekking pole (note to self, get one), with those submerged bigass rocks covered with slippery algae... yeah. Take care.

Crossed easily over the remains of a structure in the area. Shot an azimuth for the mouth of Horse Canyon, which is something I've wanted to check out since spring of last year. This is the canyon that borders GMR's north side/stage to the west.

Getting into the canyon involved moving along a cliffband. Really crappy rock, big surprise there.

Saw a ton of pipes. Some of the trails didn't look like deer use them. I'm always paranoid of pot farms. The pipes were all steel, and judging by the rust on one open end, they'd been out-of-use for years. I'm assuming this is from building GMR? Do pot farmers ever use steel pipe?

The canyon has some cliffs, all pretty shitty rock.

Cougarmagic, ID this track!

The highlight of the trip was this Taricha torosa (California Newt):

Headed home after I found nothing else. Came across some cattails.

AW, Matt... either of you guys descended this canyon before?
mve

Post by mve »

Curious Salamander -- never seen one like this before ... Back to roaming the "dry" land Ice Pirate? :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, gotta get back into some old stuff I used to to a while ago.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:Howdy guys.

Shot an azimuth for the mouth of Horse Canyon, which is something I've wanted to check out since spring of last year. This is the canyon that borders GMR's north side/stage to the west.

Getting into the canyon involved moving along a cliffband. Really crappy rock, big surprise there.
Out for a stroll in the park eh?
Do pot farmers ever use steel pipe?
I have never seen it done, generally the dead give away is trash. The more recent the more concerned I'd be, but right now this time of year I'd say you're safe
The canyon has some cliffs, all pretty shitty rock.
You make sound so appealing!
Cougarmagic, ID this track!
To me it looks like Bobcat
The highlight of the trip was this Taricha torosa (California Newt):
Oh newty it's a nice one, they are always such attention whores, and camera hogs :wink:
AW, Matt... either of you guys descended this canyon before?
I have not and don't know anyone who has

I'm assuming this is the horse canyon we're referring to

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Looks like a pot farmer track to me. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Looks like your left hand to me. I see nothing but leaves and dirt! :oops:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol:

I think AW said there are some decent rappels further up, if one was to descend directly from GMR into the East Fork of Horse Cyn.

I didn't see any recent trash, or the normal drip irrigation type tubing I've seen in farms around here.

Thanks Matt!
Zach

Post by Zach »

Forget the steel pipes. The dead give away is pot plants.

My personal fave: White Widow
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Now now, we can't have you abusing such dangerous substances. You could go into a blind rage and kill people with your guns!
Zach

Post by Zach »

Guns don't kill people, apes with guns kill people.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

In that case, let's keep Ze away from the armory.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

TacoDelRio wrote:AW, Matt... either of you guys descended this canyon before?
Yes...every named canyon in that area. You were on the side of Cape Horn canyon, not Horse canyon. Horse canyon only has one parking space..next to Camp Williams. The trail on the side above the water is the remants of the old miner trails that connected this area back in the day.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, figured out I was wrong when I rechecked Google Earth. :lol:

Anything interesting in Horse Canyon or Cape Horn Canyon?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

TacoDelRio wrote:Yeah, figured out I was wrong when I rechecked Google Earth. :lol:

Anything interesting in Horse Canyon or Cape Horn Canyon?
Horse canyon is a nice training trade canyon..class 2B. Some graffiti, but nothing West Forkish. Theres some minor climbing available. Now that people got to it, theres one parking space.

Cape Horn...3B...the majority of it is a major bushwack slog...no climbing whatsoever...also known for the purple graffiti.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks boss!