Chaparral is starting to bloom....

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Travis

Post by Travis »

It is looking like this spring is going to be amazing for our local flora. The chaparral is already starting to bloom and everything is so green and fragrant. I would think that most of March will be ideal to hike the San Gabriel Mnts and see all sorts of plants in full bloom. One of my favorites hike this time of year is to Idlehour Camp within Eaton Canyon. I hiked it a couple years back in spring and it was amazing. Basically hike up past Henninger Flats and take the trail down into Eaton Canyon. It is a great place to camp too, and you can head out via Inspiration point and echo Mnt for a nice loop.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

So true about the flowers - it looks like it will be a good year. That loop hike you mentioned has been on my mind for awhile - sounds perfect for this weekend.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Anyone been down there (Idlehour) recently? Last time I was through, there was quite a bit of Poison Oak in the camp area which made me think that I wouldn't want to set up there even though, for the front range, it's really a nice secluded spot.

The hike I did that time was kind of a cool loop. I went up from Lake Ave to Echo Mtn, then to Inpspiration Pt, then to Idlehour, then to Henninger Flat, and then to Eaton Canyon. Unfortunately, I was running a little late, so they had already locked the Pinecrest Gate. Fortunately, there is a horse trail that sort of runs along the base of the hills there in Altadena. Using the horse trail, I was able to proceed east and find a way out of the Eaton Canyon Park area. I then walked city streets :( back to my car. A car shuttle would have been nicer, but it was still a good trip.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Anyone been down there (Idlehour) recently? Last time I was through, there was quite a bit of Poison Oak in the camp area which made me think that I wouldn't want to set up there even though, for the front range, it's really a nice secluded spot.

The hike I did that time was kind of a cool loop. I went up from Lake Ave to Echo Mtn, then to Inpspiration Pt, then to Idlehour, then to Henninger Flat, and then to Eaton Canyon. Unfortunately, I was running a little late, so they had already locked the Pinecrest Gate. Fortunately, there is a horse trail that sort of runs along the base of the hills there in Altadena. Using the horse trail, I was able to proceed east and find a way out of the Eaton Canyon Park area. I then walked city streets :( back to my car. A car shuttle would have been nicer, but it was still a good trip.
When I was last there about 2 years ago it was pretty thick with Poison Oak. The first time I was here I was fairly new to the area and hiking. We were doing a backpack and set up camp for the night. I had taken my shoes off to let my feet relax and then I decided to pick up a few pieces of firewood in bare feet to get the fire started. Little did I know I was walking on fresh baby poison oak in BARE FEET. On the same trip I drank the water untreated (hey, I am from Canada, if the water looks good there it usually is). I was none the wiser the next day and hiked home. The following day I started to get a little itchy and not feeling well, then the next day it hit, hard core giardia and my feet/legs were very itchy. A few days later I was still having intestinal turmoil and my poison oak was blistering badly. I did not know what was wrong, I thought the poison oak and diarrhea were both symptoms of something, I thought I have Lye disease from a tick. I finally went to the doctor and he explained that I likely had 2 issues, poison oak and giardia - duh! Now I know! Never again have I drank water untreated nor walked barefoot in nice grassy meadows.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Wow. What an introduction to southern California hiking Travis. You'd never told that war story. Yep, poison oak is ever present near water sources whether it's red, green or in a dry brown stage.

Speaking of flora, I'm always intrigued by the abundance of poison hemlock (the same thing that killed Socrates) in the same places you'll find poison oak. Add the Castor Bean plant down at the lower elevations and we've got our fair share of toxic flora in the San Gabriels.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Augie wrote:Speaking of flora, I'm always intrigued by the abundance of poison hemlock (the same thing that killed Socrates) in the same places you'll find poison oak. Add the Castor Bean plant down at the lower elevations and we've got our fair share of toxic flora in the San Gabriels.
True, but I'll bet the biggest commercial crop covers a lot more acreage than even the poison oak. It won't kill you but the people guarding it will. :cry:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

We came thru Idlehour 2 weeks ago on a Back pack trip there was plenty of P-Oak in camp area. But you could easily stay clear of it in the camp areas. The water was flowing good. Bigger problem was Skeeters...around dusk and dawn they were hungry. The trail is passable but you need to be careful in some spots P-oak loks very healthy. We were completely alone in camp though only passed a few day hikers on the trail down from Mt Lowe. We thru hiked from Eaton Saddle to Mt Lowe via the east trail stayed the night and on to Idlehour for Sat night and then out thru Hennenger Flats down to Eaton Nature center the last section was very hot and dry all in all a great trip.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Chicken Legs wrote:We came thru Idlehour 2 weeks ago on a Back pack trip there was plenty of P-Oak in camp area. But you could easily stay clear of it in the camp areas. The water was flowing good. Bigger problem was Skeeters...around dusk and dawn they were hungry. The trail is passable but you need to be careful in some spots P-oak loks very healthy. We were completely alone in camp though only passed a few day hikers on the trail down from Mt Lowe. We thru hiked from Eaton Saddle to Mt Lowe via the east trail stayed the night and on to Idlehour for Sat night and then out thru Hennenger Flats down to Eaton Nature center the last section was very hot and dry all in all a great trip.
Thanks for that update.