Mount Baden-Powell 3.1.08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I did a quick hike up Mount Baden-Powell today - it was getting close to 9 am when I started and I got back down to Vincent Gap at about 2:30 pm; so not really so quick. The snow started at the trailhead and went all the way up except for a couple small patches where it has melted out. The ice made getting on the ridge for the final gentle stretch to the summit tricky, but once on the ridge the traverse was not difficult. The snow is still really deep in places - it was soft on the way down and as I was plunging down the hill, I went in pretty deep in a couple places.

Some pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/44 ... z/2#P-1-12
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice pics, Kathy! Looks pretty up there. I still haven't been to that summit.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Hi,

Which way did you get to the Vincent Gap parking? From the West on Highway 2, or from the East of the 2 past Wrightwood. I tried to get to it from the East about 1 month ago, but the road was close at Jack Rabbit Camp area due to heavy snow.

Thanks,
HN
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

There is no approach from the west by vehicle. Rte. 2 has been closed from Islip Saddle to Vincent Gap since early 2005. (This is aside from winter closures lower down.)

See this thread.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

The road between Wrightwood and Vincent Gap is clear of snow. I'm looking forward to when they open the road all the way through again because I live in Redlands and it's much easier for me to access that area from the east.
He219

Post by He219 »

Looks like they've got a bit of work to do there ..
:lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

He219 wrote:Looks like they've got a bit of work to do there.
Hey! A couple of hours with a guy and a snow shovel and the road will be as good as new! :P
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nah, just use snow tires.