"Falling Fir Ridge" 2-7-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Phil and I climbed up Falling Rock Canyon, diverting to (unamed) "Falling Fir Ridge" to Ontario Ridge and came down via Icehouse Saddle. The previous day a storm had brought mixed rain and snow to the area so we had icy and hard breakable crust conditions. As we were descending, we found a good boot track through the drainage from Icehouse Saddle on down, but no traffic any higher and we didn't see another hiker all day long. The sky was fairly clear up until around noon when the clouds rolled in, severely limiting visibility until about 5p. Pix are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 259366565/

Phil coming up to the icy chute out of FRC

On the ridge

The crux (not bad)

Frozen tundra
mve

Post by mve »

Dave, thank you for sharing another great fun route and pictures. The picture of the tree hunched over from all the rime ice is something else -- all that ice must weigh few tons -- incredible!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That looks beautiful.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Nice! Looks like you had a brilliant day. And thanks for calling it "Falling Fir Ridge". :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sam, that's the official name now, FWIW. There are lots of un-named features in the SG's, just gotta name 'em after you get to know them.

Have you made a page for it on Summitpost?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

TacoDelRio wrote:Sam, that's the official name now, FWIW. There are lots of un-named features in the SG's, just gotta name 'em after you get to know them. Have you made a page for it on Summitpost?
I have thought about making a page for "Falling Fir Ridge" on Summitpost, but haven't yet. Should I do it soon before I get scooped?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Great job Dave & Phil! Awesome photos Dave! There's just something about Ontario in winter. I find it chillingly beautiful. So cool to see the rime ice on the trees too. That ridge seems to get nailed with rime.

Sam, yes create a SP page before somebody names it something like Fur Ball Ridge. :shock:

p.s. guys, how'd you like that Super Bowl! :wink:
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Sam Page wrote:Nice! Looks like you had a brilliant day. And thanks for calling it "Falling Fir Ridge". :D
No problem Sam, but to be honest, on Sunday it felt more like "Falling Ice Projectiles of Death Ridge". :evil: A little wordy, I know. :wink:

Hey, if you do an SP page, make sure you give me credit for the "FRC Icy Chute Route". :lol: As I recall, you went up from Fir Draw. 8)
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

norma r wrote:p.s. guys, how'd you like that Super Bowl! :wink:
Well, you know Phil. About the time I started to worry about missing the game, he pulled out a satellite dish and TV from his pack. :o No summit bar, though--I guess you can't have everything (where would you put it?). :(
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D :D LOL :D :D
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Ok, I'm doing it: I'm making a Summitpost page for "Falling Fir Ridge".
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Ok, I did it: I made a Summitpost page for Falling Fir Ridge. So sign the climber's log and add some images!