One Pissed off Devil 2-5

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

I have the habit of looking for storms and heading out into the wilderness to test my self and experience the awesomeness of winter however Friday the storm found us.

We knew weather was moving in so we started at 6AM by hiking up the never ending Falls Rd to the Notch and eventually to the start of the Devil's Backbone. This is when the storm really started to move in. The winds picked up, the temperature plummeted, and the visibility went to nil. This only added to the excitement of my first accent of the DBB in winter. Several times we considered turning back to live another day but we were managing well and so we pressed on. The winds gusted strong enough to nearly knock you off your feet and the ice cut into your face. After a few hours we were turning into rim ice popsicles. Even our goggles froze over which further diminished our ability to navigate. By 12PM we reached the saddle between Baldy and Hardwood and made the decision to head down. Our gear was doing its job but we were wearing most of what we had reserved for "just in case" and decided it was best not to go any higher with the storm only intensifying.

We began to head down the east side of bowl using the GPS to aim for the hut as visibility was often between 5 to 25 feet. The snow was way too icy to glissade and rather steep so we walked down backwards to about 8,900 ft where the winds subsided and the snow became soft enough to plunge step and glissade to hut. From there it was simple and amazingly calm as we made it back to the car at 3PM.

I can't get the photos to post here directly so I will keep adding the link to facebook. The link will take you to the 4 trips I have done this season and posted previously. Friday's photos are the last 10 in the album. enjoy.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 3522692a9f
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Sounds like an adventure! Where was the snow level at? Looked like it was raining at resort levels?
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

In the morning it was below 6,000 but on the way down the level rose to about 6,500.
mve

Post by mve »

Awesome! "rim ice popsicles" :lol:
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Glamisking,
We were on Mt. Baldy almost same time as you were. Kurt Wedburg and 11-12
WPSMB member went to Manker,Ski hut,west bowl,summit,east bowl,ski hut,Manker rout from 6:45 to 3:00. The weather was unstable, so cold and so windy,and so foggy. It stared to snow around 7600 feet. The wear ther was so bad around the summit and Kurt navigated us out from summit to Ski hut using a compass. Every one's camera froze after summit so no picture. We had a nice hot tea at Ski hut.
It was a very nice hike and we learned a lot of skills from our leaders how to deal with bad weather. We felt secure entire trip and stayed together as a team.

Around 9000 feet

At Summit

There will be more storm coming so you are going to have a fun.

snmtbaldy
mve

Post by mve »

snmtbaldy -- that's amazing!
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Nice. I think we may have walked up the road with you guys first thing in the morning. Glad you guys had fun. Was the east side of the bowl as icy for you as it was for us? You finished prob 30 min before us. And I like the guy with the monster golf umbrella in his pack... :)
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Glamisking,
The section where we hiked down was covered with soft and wet snow entire slope to Ski hut. We were able to stand up straight to walk down the slope.
But it was very hard to judge the footing because of very thick fog and snow.
When I hiked down the same section 2 weeks ago, around 9700 feet section was hard but not icy and I was able to see well.

Since I am strictly a day hiker or even a half day hiker, I didn't hike if the weather was going to be bad. I avoided the all bad situation completely before the hike. I bought all clothes and gears for the bad situation but I never used them at all.
But,this hike was totally different. We dealt ever changing weather condition as it came on us on the trail and we made the best possible decision at the given moment and I used all clothes and gears in my pack to protect myself.
I was so glad that I had them.

In our group, there are many people have different degree of experience in hiking and mountaineering,from Mt. Baldy hiker to Everest climber, but there is one thing in common among the group. That is "THE SAFETY OF MEMBER".
I hiked with WPSMB about 5 time so far and I enjoyed hiking with them because of that.

It is time to stop.
mve

Post by mve »

What does WPSMB stand for? Sounds like a great group. I think I recognize Bob (the guy in the center with green jacket):

Him, Sara and Sam stayed with injured hiker who slipped from Baldy Bowl last year. I met him few times on the Ski Hut trail ...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

(Mount) Whitney Portal Store Message Boards
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Mve,
WPSMB stands for WHITNEY PORTAL STORE MESSAGE BOARD.

They host many interesting group hikes during the year and different places.

I should have gone with you on 4th.
One day made such a difference.
Mt. Baldy has so many faces everyday.
Your new lens looks like a fish-eye lens. Hope you have a good lens cover.

Shin
mve

Post by mve »

Shin, Thank you for explaining WPSMB.

Hopefully we'll run into each other on the trail one of these days :D

And in regards to the lens -- it's actually a Ultra Wide Angle Lens (not a fisheye) -- straight lines stay straight ... Nikon did an amazing job with this one ...
mve

Post by mve »

TacoDelRio wrote:(Mount) Whitney Portal Store Message Boards
Missed your reply -- thank you.
norma r

Post by norma r »

glamisking, great TR and photos! everytime i see photos from DBB in a storm it looks like Denali! 8)

as Shin said, Baldy has many faces. it's fun to see and experience them all.