Pacoima Cyn BPL Road Loop 2010/02/04

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Track @ Everytrail
Photos at Picasa

This is another in a series of long long delayed hikes

We met at the 7-11 near Foothill Blvd. I was surprised to learn that our group had increased by one... Archie Jane's new canine companion !

Welcome Aboard Archie! There's always room for one more

We left Dillion Divide setting a brisk pace, poor Archie had trouble keeping up...He hitched a ride with Jane

As we passed the exit road I pointed it out, about 3/10 mile from Dillion Divide along the way I also pointed out some possible canyon trips.

We made excellent time to Highline Saddle where Jane decided Archie was not up to the entire trip. They accompanied us for another ½ mile or so down the BPL Rd where we parted ways.

There was evidence A truck, a motorcycle, a couple hikers and a dog had been down here recently, but the lower in the canyon we got the tracks petered out and they turned around. The condition of the road is good at the top and deteriorates until it is impassable by vehicles about ½ mile above Gooseberry Canyon

There where some small cougar tracks down here and some deer tracks

We arrived at the river about 5.6 miles 2hrs 16min. I donned my 5.10 canyoneers and neoprene socks, broke out the hiking poles and we started down canyon.

We where able to stay on the Old Road Grade that is shown on most maps. The Forest Service geodata has designated that as a trail so later versions of maps will show it as a trail, a Road or Trail mostly overstates it a more accurate designation IMO is Old Road Grade (ORG) a road is always a road and will never be a trail.

With out any brush it is a breeze to follow, the river crossings are "weird" as the water is only inches deep with wide sandy bottom. For someone used to scrambling over miles of boulders it is a different experience to be sure.

While the road and the area around the Dam miles below here, has many animal tracks and signs. This area has very little signs of animals with only one or two sets of deer tracks. We are making good time, mostly following the ORG, I stayed high on the ORG and Johanna stayed low around Gooseberry Creek

About 7miles we came across some interesting critter tracks in the mud

These are possible Ring Tailed Cat tracks

About 8miles in we came to the Prospect labeled on the map which oddly enough is dead on accurate. There are several adits and one shaft here, the Forest Service in their infinite wisdom came out here post fire and but a small fence at the adits, but didn't feel it necessary for the hole in the ground?

After contemplating the sign we made our way down canyon to Dorothy Cyn where a lunch break was in order. I hiked up the canyon a short way to a small 10-15 waterfall

Down canyon is another mine, where Johanna leaped in front of me when I tried to enter the mine! =:-O

About 9.1 miles is the FALLS on the topo map

Just below here we entered the unburned area again, passing Dagger Flat, Dagger Flat Trail, Dutch Louis Cpgd (site) and Honey Bee Cpgd (site) and arrived at the ORG up to Mendenhall Ridge Rd about 1½ miles 500 ft ahead and 0.3 miles to Dillion Divide

It was a great day and another trip off my long long long list of trips I wanna do

Thanks to Jane & Johanna (& Archie!) for putting up with me
mve

Post by mve »

Great TR Matt, and the picture of Archie in the backpack -- I love it :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I did some checking - I'm now sure those are ringtail tracks.

"Ringtail tracks may be quite variable. The tiny fifth toe, especially in the hind track, may barely register, making some tracks appear to be four-toed." (Jim Lowery, "The Tracker's Field Guide")

also this: "The size and shape of the tracks leave few other possibilities." The measurements are spot-on, and the only other option is spotted skunk, and with those, you'd see claw marks.

I think the other tiny tracks are the California Vole: http://www.mnh.si.edu/mna/image_info.cfm?species_id=174

Also - it is as much fun to say "Mine! All Mine!" when you come to a mine, as it is to say "Damn!!" when you see a dam. :lol: