Unnamed Baldy Chute 1.29.10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

I forwarded a pix of the chute we climbed and Taco said he is not aware of a name. Hence the name of this TR...

Sara M, Frank and i did a day climb of an "unnamed chute" in the center of the Baldy bowl. This was my first climb directly up to the rocks. Until now i had always climbed the expansive east bowl or the traverse along the west bowl. Since i had gotten some steep snow climbs in the last couple years i guess it was about time! :)

Sara has done the chutes many times and chose this one to lead and she provided a great lead. We had been on the bowl 4 days prior on Monday and could definitely tell how the snow had firmed up and become consolidated in that time. As we headed up there were a few climbers and skiers way off to our right heading up the east bowl.

We topped out on a 40-45 degree slope of perfect neve snow and got to enjoy the amazing plateau of snow on the summit from the recent storms. It was a perfect first climb of this degree on Baldy and the fondant frosting on the cake was getting to see that plateau. How beautiful and amazing! On the way down the east bowl we ran into Fritz and Taco making their way up. Good to see you! At the hut we ran into Kenny who had just climbed RR and rode the bowl down. Hard climb, cool descent!!

The hike down from the hut was uneventful though we were disappointed to see a plow had come in during the day and plowed the fire road. So much for the beautiful snowy approach.

btw... if anyone knows a name for the chute please let me know. :)

the chute we took was straight up the middle.
heading up, Sara, me, Frank
in the chute
me and Sara summiteering
Sara testing the cornice with her axe

I'm still without a camera, so all pix courtesy of Sara. Rest here: http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... Baldy12910#
simonov

Post by simonov »

norma r wrote: btw... if anyone knows a name for the chute please let me know.
"Simonov Chute" rolls nicely off the tongue.
Nunc est bibendum
mve

Post by mve »

Nice TR and pictures - great week full of snow adventures :D
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi normaR,
I enjoyed your TR very much.
Can you find the name of chute where you climbed in this picture?

I found this picture at the Ski hut wall the other day. Some names are interesting.

Looking forward to reading your next adventure.

Shin

mve

Post by mve »

Just went through the full album -- what a great day with the clouds coming in over the bowl. Steep chute! Huge amount of snow at the top, and the bear track! :shock: Thank you for sharing Norma! I can't wait to get a day off to get up there ... maybe this week.
He219

Post by He219 »

Awesome pix, Norma!
From the angle it could be hard for some to believe that this is in SoCal ..
:D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Top stuff!

Shin, thanks for that picture.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Nice job, Norma! I've been up that same chute before, but it's not often it's filled completely with snow. Most of the time it's a mixed section of rock and snow. There is definitely a lot of snow up there! Fun stuff!
norma r

Post by norma r »

snmtbaldy wrote: Can you find the name of chute where you climbed in this picture?
thanks everyone! it was a fun climb for sure!

Shin,
after emailing Taco we both agreed it looks like it is to the right of Zen Chute. when i get up there next, hopefully later this week, i will take a copy of a photo with me that was on Taco's thread from his Taco Thurs climb in December and double check that.

Mitch,
Nyet to Siminov Chute! :evil: Taco suggested Norma's Chute, but felt that might be taken wrong. :? As i climbed, i thought it was rather wide for a chute and as GigaMike says, usually there are more rocks in it, but because of the snowfall it's completely filled in. this might be a stretch... but since right now it's a steep bowl shaped hollow, may we refer to it as a Cwm? Maybe, Zoom Cwm? :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Or "way". As in, "Bill's Way" or somesuch. You could always use something completely different instead of giving it a correct terrain term.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Shin,

You still have that classic edition of Couloir Mag, too??
:)
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

I am not sure if this is a democratic decision or not, but I like Zoom Cwm; its pretty funny too. :lol:
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Nice pictures, Norma. And I see that you have a mild obsession with naming a route with the the word "cwm" in it. :wink:
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi EManBevHills,
I don't have the Couloir magazine with me. Even I don't know anything about it. Sam Page explained about the magazine to me.

The picture was on the wall in the ski hut. I didn't know who took the original picture or its source.

All names are interesting.

Shin

Post by 406 »

nice work!

I have never noticed the named chute photo in the hut. Thanks for posting it. Looks like I mostly ski the Figure 11 chute.