Icehouse Quadruple - 1.30.10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

There hasn't been much action on the other side of the road, so I thought I would post this short TR from the Icehouse Canyon area.

My goal was to avoid as many people as possible so I decided to first climb up Sugarloaf Peak via Falling Rock Canyon. I decided to leave the snowshoes in the car and it was a good decision. My lightweight frame and big feet worked well. A little post holing crossing over into the canyon, but good snow for crampons the rest of the way up to Sugarloaf and beyond.

After tagging Sugarloaf I continued up to Ontario Peak, climbed the summit rock, had a snack and then headed across the ridge to Bighorn Peak. I ate lunch here and then dropped down to Icehouse Saddle and up to Timber Mountain. I saw the first 2 hikers of the day making camp below Bighorn Peak and I was surprised to see no one at Icehouse Saddle.....weird. I ran into 2 more guys on Timber, said hello, took a few pics and descended via the West Ridge. Once off the ridge and onto the 'trail', it was a easy hike back to the parking lot.

My plan worked. I only saw 6 people all day, not including the hundreds playing in the snow near the trailhead. I guess everyone was in the Baldy Bowl :-)

Pictures here:
http://www.digitalalpine.com/2010-Pictu ... 7718_w8i3r
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was hanging out over Icehouse today, wondering if anyone was down there recently.

Your cam takes awesome pics.

Nice handstands. It's like BCMountainGirl on summitpost, except she's hot. :wink:
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

mve

Post by mve »

Nice route -- I haven't been on that side yet -- I like the solitude it offers. Great pictures!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

When are you gonna go with me on some random stupid route?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Stop the presses there's been a GigaMike sighting, problem is his whole world is upside down :D

Great pictures and report Mike, 4 peaks and not much post holing to boot that's special, if I had tried those hand stands the camera would have caught my legs sticking out of the snow and the rest of my body would be underneath :shock:
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Nice TR, GigaMike.

Amazing, how quickly snow melts! A week before right after the storm, there were only 4-5 parking spaces at the parking lot. The rest was completely buried under the snow.

I wasn' t the first one to get in that day, but earlier groups turned back, and I broke the trail for a while. It was serene and beautiful.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

TacoDelRio wrote:When are you gonna go with me on some random stupid route?
If you can go on weekends, I'm down. I like random stupid routes :lol:

Thanks Patrick. My back is still sore for some reason :?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sweet.

Don't forget to make a Facebook. :lol:
mve

Post by mve »

Me? What day do you have in mind?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fer Mike. I wouldn't mind having you go as well. It's open. Got a siege climb in my mind at the moment. :twisted:
mve

Post by mve »

Cool!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice work, GM--you da man with them crazy one-armed handstands! 8)
The FRC/Sugarloaf/Ontario traverse is one of my favorite local hikes, but I've never considered coming down Timber ridge--any wrinkles?
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Dave G wrote: The FRC/Sugarloaf/Ontario traverse is one of my favorite local hikes, but I've never considered coming down Timber ridge--any wrinkles?
Actually, yes. I thought the ridge would be well defined and easy to stay on it, but about halfway down the ridge flattened out and I stayed left, which forced me down slope too early. Next time I'll remember to stay right and then pick the ridge back up a little further down.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle or something like that :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I have a couple new ones in mind if you two are up for it. Of course this is when the snow consolidates a little more and I get my damn gear off the mountain.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

EnFuego wrote:
I have a couple new ones in mind if you two are up for it. Of course this is when the snow consolidates a little more and I get my damn gear off the mountain.
But of course, as long as a cashpoor motherfucker as myself can handle the crux (money).