Mt. Whitney: June 2010

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
obie

Post by obie »

I'm new to hiking/climbing. I'm a long-distance cyclist who enjoys climbing events around the San Gabriels, San B's and such and would like to get off the bike and start viewing up close these beautiful mountains.

For the spring/summer I plan on training with climbs to Baldy via Ski Hut to prepare for Mt.Whitney. I've summited Baldy twice - both times I rode my MTB up from village to the Notch and hiked the DBB.

The first Baldy summit I carried my MTB and a small day pack with me to the top - about 40 pds. Quite strenuous. I think I'd prefer now to limit myself to a 30# pack on foot. I'm 61 y.o. and train a lot on the bike.

I sent my lottery application in and will hope for the best. This will be a two-day hike. I thought it best for me to stop at the camp above 10,000' and acclimate since this will be the highest I have climbed.

What are one's chances of getting a permit for Mt. Whitney? I'm going to be out climbing regardless this year but, am curious as to how long it took others on this forum to get their 'first' permit.

Thanks for this forum. The TR's are invaluable resources. The pictures inspire me to get out and enjoy the mountains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Odds are good on getting a Whitney permit if you are at least somewhat flexible on dates. Previous data shows that a permit is available almost every single day of the season without a reservation.

The best place for all Whitney related info is teh Whitney Portal board.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... p/ubb/cfrm

Applications can be sent in in about two weeks.
hamik

Post by hamik »

If you show up when the unclaimed permits become available the day before you want to start your hike (sometime between noon and 4pm--check the site), chances are pretty high that you will get a walk-in permit. My strategy for climbing on Whitney in the summer is to show up on time to get a walk-in, and if it falls through I do something else on the eastside.
obie

Post by obie »

Thank you for sharing your insights.

While I'm still in play here - I need to build a climbing library. These two titles come with high marks. Any others that a beginner would/should have for the San Gabriels/San Bernardinos and Mt.Whitney area?

Paul Richins, Jr.: "Mt. Whitney: The Complete Trailhead-to-Summit Hiking Guide."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... E&v=glance

John W. Robinson: "100 Hikes in the San Gabriels"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance
Zach

Post by Zach »

I think getting a permit during the week gives you a better chance. I was up in the Whitney area 4x's? this past summer and every time got a permit the day-of my hike/climb.... maybe it was luck, but I think as long as your party is small you stand a pretty good chance at getting in. As was previously mentioned... flexibility on the dates is a good thing.
hamik

Post by hamik »

Freedom of the Hills. I can't praise it highly enough; almost every serious American climber who I've shared a rope with learned the craft from this text. The first eight chapters or so deal with backpacking and hiking, and the rest deals with climbing. For hikes in the San Gabes and the Sierra, you can get all the information you need from Summitpost and Tom Harrison maps.

As far as interesting historical and motivational reading, Killing Dragons by Fergus Fleming. The mountaineering history of the Alps. I'm looking for a good historical account of Sierran exploration if anyone has a recommendation.

The best coffee table type books--AKA books with drool-inducing pictures--are in my opinion Gaston Rebuffat's 100 Finest Routes of the Mont Blanc Massif (it's a little hard to find, but totally worth it), and Stephen Venables' Himalaya Alpine Style.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Here is a good site for Whitney information - the Whitney Portal Store Message Board:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... p/ubb/cfrm

Zach is correct in stating that mid-week permits are usually pretty easy to get just by walking in.
obie

Post by obie »

Thank you for your insights.

I thought about doing the Whitney climb after my second hike up Baldy but, wanted to think it over a bit before I splashed all this up on a mountaineering forum. I figured it best to throw out a few particulars about myself and see what the reactions would be. I like challenges outdoors - but I didn't want to jump in too deep with Whitney. I haven't even been to the Sierras!

I'm fit for my age and can train pretty hard 3-4 days a week. Much as I would like to start more serious hiking/training, I'm committed to finishing up a build on a new MTB and backpacking gear for some 2-3 day mountain tours. Otherwise, I'd be out there clambering up the Bowl with proper boots, axes and crampons! The pictures of the ascents up there these past few weeks are great. It's hard not to run out and buy some good gear and head up!

Again thanks and sorry to ramble about a bit with all this.
obie

Post by obie »

Well, I didn't get a lottery permit.

But, better, I have a partner ready to go! She's an experienced hiker and we've been riding in the mtns. together for a few years so we kind of know what to expect of each other.

We'll head up on a Friday and hope for the best. We're pumped.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I would HIGHLY recommend going up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek and ascending via the Mountaineer's Route during the summer. If you go late enough most of the snow is gone and the route offers much more (relative) solitude, better views and a lot of fun crosscountry-ish hiking. Not to mention the permits hardly ever fill for that area and they don't require a 5lb. bear canister (although marmots can be a problem).
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

North Fork = Mountaineer's Trail is the same permit lottery for day hikes as the MMWT. For overnights, it has its' own permit quota. (10, 6 reservable)
obie

Post by obie »

Zach wrote:I would HIGHLY recommend going up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek and ascending via the Mountaineer's Route during the summer.
Sounds OK for a seasoned hiker/climber but, I was planning on a Class 1 hike my first time up. The Paul Richins book on Whitney recommends axes and crampons on 'Mountaineers' - just in case. He also mentions: "... .08 mile of scrambling up the Mountaineers Couloir (Class 2 with one section of Class3) to the summit." That sounds like a bit of bizness to this hiker.

We plan on doing hikes up San Jacinto and San Gorgonio to see where we are on our conditioning. I think by June if the snow has melted and we're at a good fitness level we may give that route a go.

Seems like, as Rumpled mentions in his post, we'll need permits in any event. So a Friday jaunt to Lone Pine is what we'll probably do.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

In addition to San Gorgonio (Vivian Creek route), do Baldy via the village/Bear Flat trail. To me, this is the most strenuous climb to the summit of Baldy, bar none. It will tell you where you are in your conditioning, which sounds to me like it's better than my own. :oops:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

To enter the Whitney zone, you do need a permit. Various permits whether overnight and entrance.
If you head up to Lone Pine and strike out on a permit, you can hike the first few (~3) miles up to Lone Pine Lake before you reach the permit area. A side trip to Meysan Lakes is also supposed to be very nice and requires no permit.
Or head up to Horseshoe Meadows.