Baldy overnight Sat with late start.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

It looks like I have the good luck to have wife and kids all away Saturday night and am hoping to either A: stay at the hut (email sent), or B: camp on the mountain.

Summiting Baldy would be nice, but isn't critical. I'll be traveling with snowshoes and crampons.

Questions:
Access: Unfortunately I probably won't exit the 210 until noon. Any idea how long it will take to drive to Manker- or if it will even be possible? Last Sunday afternoon it looked like CHP was only letting as many cars up as they saw driving down.

Wind: Mt. Baldy's weather station at the Notch isn't promising. Winds have been pretty constantly 25 MPH for the past 24 hours. Does the Ski Hut trail get a lot of wind or is it sheltered? I presume Register Ridge would see as much wind as the Notch.

GPS Track: Anyone have clean GPS files of the Ski Hut and Register Ridge routes?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Driving up at noon is going to be tough. A lot of snowplayers got denied last weekend because of road closures so they're going to be back in full force.

The Ski Hut trail can get windy, but not as much as one of the higher ridges. The wind tends to come from the north or the west, so San Antonio Canyon is kind of sheltered from the wind.

We don't talk about that other ridge anymore :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You mean the ridge going from Ontario Peak to Cucamonga, right?

Yes.