Register Ridge, Monday 1/25/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Sara M. and I did a hike up Register Ridge on Monday. We chose RR thinking that it would keep us from spending much time under steep slopes that would have the possibility of sliding. We were the first ones to hike the ridge since the storm and had a butt burning day!

In the parking area at Manker a guy, Nick, recognized me from REI Northridge where he used to work. Seems I spend too much time and money there! :? We invited him to join us and the three of us headed up at an unalpine start of 9am. It was very warm down below and we dropped layers within minutes. As we saw from MVE's TR, the fire road is nearly unrecognizable and past the waterfall, there are a few areas that are only one boot track wide next to the downhill slope.

We broke off for RR and immediately realized that the recent dump was going to make for an epic day of post-holing. No crampons needed since the snow is so soft and deep. About 2/3 up we broke out our axes as we ascended the steepest slopes. We did have one slope that sketched us out and we climbed as fast as we could while holding our breath. As MVE said, wearing a helmet is wise as the rime ice was falling off the trees in HUGE chunks and kept us walking around them when possible or as fast as we could under them, when it was unavoidable.

We broke for lunch just before the ridge to stay out of the wind and then headed up to Harwood. We found the top of the ridge and Harwood with lots of ice covered with a trace of spindrift that had blown over from the north slope. It was 2:30 so we decided to head down and reasoned that we might have a better chance of descending without setting off a slide if we stayed as far east as possible on the bowl. The thought of an avy was a constant all day and we kept a good eye on every step and slope we climbed. On the traverse over to the east bowl we serpentined around patches of ice to stay on snow as much as possible and again did not use crampons. Once we hit a good line we headed down into the land of the never ending posthole!

The creek above the hut is so deep under snow that you can't see it or hear it. Nick ran into some friends at the hut where we chatted for a bit and then headed straight down from the hut's south wall. We found ourselves sometimes on the trail and at other times all over the place. There is more than one boot track in the drainage. We never used our snowshoes all day either since we were on slopes so steep that we preferred to plunge step or figured with the narrow trail created by boot tracks it was easier to stay in just boots.

The snow is so deep & soft that post-holing was a constant. We laughed, we cursed, but most of all we had a great day on the mountain. :D

Nearing the top of Register Ridge

my camera broke a few weeks ago, so all pix are courtesy of Sara M.
link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... Baldy12510#
mve

Post by mve »

Norma, Great TR and I love the pics -- thanks for sharing!

This is fun :D (to watch) -- http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... 1818482466
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Thanks for the report and pictures, Norma. Looks like a good outing.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

The mountain is much, much older, it makes you very young :D
Great TR, Great Photos, glad you were able to get out there and enjoy.
More snow last night - niccceeeeeeeeeee :D
Jackalopes

Post by Jackalopes »

It looks great. We will give it a go on February 5 with Kurt.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR norma!
Cheers-
:D
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Thank you for this very nice report. Your information and information from other reports is very helpful in planning for the weekend. Motivating too!
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

nice Norma, it was a nice day that day it was my first time on snowshoes sunday alot of fun....hope to see you Feb 5th

mark
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Norma and Sara,
Thank you for your interesting TR on RR trail. It must have been so tiring to posthole the steep slope with deep and soft snow. I am too old for that. There were several gullies along the Ski hut trail had massive snow came down from the RR. Mark and I left early in the morning so trail was all right but I walked across rather fast and walked softly on bad section. On the way down, the trail was mashy in the afternoon.

How did you find the trail down from RR to Ski hut?

My legs were a bit sore after using snowshoes almost all day long. It was a very fast time I used snowshoes for a long time in Mt. Baldy.

See you on Feb. 5th.

Shin
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

snmtbaldy wrote:I am too old for that.
Shin: I know from personal experience that you are definitely not too old for that!
norma r

Post by norma r »

snmtbaldy wrote: How did you find the trail down from RR to Ski hut? See you on Feb. 5th.
Shin
From the top of RR we traversed over to the east bowl and had quite a bit of ice until we got low enough that it was all snow. Once we hit snow, it was deep & soft. We could have put on snowshoes, but we were lazy i guess and kept trying to plunge step. But for every few steps it was another posthole. The group we met at the hut said they felt we didn't need to use 'shoes that it should be ok in boots and again we didn't use them. We found the trail was not real compacted until we were 3/4 of the way down. So yes, we could have used them, but we sure wouldn't have laughed as much had we had them on.

btw... We did notice an ugly rock & snow slide that happened on the fireroad since we had gone up that morning.

Shin & Mark, I will not make the group hike on the 5th. I forgot i had a commitment that will keep me away. Have fun!! :D
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Looks like a fun time. I particularly liked the excavation clip!
And you avoided the crowds... :twisted:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice photos. Looked like a beautiful day. can wait for that bowl to firm up a bit.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

EnFuego wrote:Nice photos. Looked like a beautiful day. can wait for that bowl to firm up a bit.
David~I was up there today. The bowl is lookin' pretty good. At 10a it was still cramponable (is that a word :?: ).

Norma~It sounds like you and Sara had one "hole" of a time! This one looks like your boot size :P :