Rubio Canyon 1/24/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Some sanity-challenged friends of mine wanted to check out Rubio after the big rains. With visions of Niagara Falls in our overactive imaginations, we gathered a small group around 9am Sunday. Matt and I went early to look for animal tracks in the lower canyon - this was an overall disaster, and beyond the scope of this nice TR.

We intended to go up on the Incline trail, which ascends the west wall of the canyon where the old railway used to carry (lucky) people up to Echo Mountain. A few people in our group said...that's nuts...go on the east side, it's way better! It did seem a bit faster, and both sides are steep ascents on loose soil, so that turned out well and it was fun to see a new route. There was cougar scat on the trail above the Thalehaha Falls overlook. It was not very recent, and I was the only person really interested. :) We traversed a couple of high pucker-factor slopes before arriving at the top of Leontine Falls.

Most donned full wetsuits, but a couple polar bears braved it in shorties. It was still early, full shade, and COLD water. We descended Leontine, the biggest of the falls here at 160' (correct me if I'm wrong...) and continued down the canyon.

Most of our group have been in Rubio many times, so we just enjoyed the beautiful day. I had just taken the ACA's "Advanced" canyoneering course, and wanted to practice setting a guided rappel at Thalehaha Falls (80'). Alas, I need more practice - it worked out OK, but the angle was not ideal, and my canyoneers ended up dangling a couple feet off the deck as they reached the end of the guide line. Nobody hassled me too much about it though! :D

Couple of short clips:

Maxon on the guide:

Kirk and Alisse tag-team rappel:

And Kirk at the last set of falls (the ones you can hike to)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

cougarmagic wrote: We descended Leontine, the biggest of the falls here at 160' (correct me if I'm wrong...)
My new 300ft 8.3 mm rope would just reach double so... it's 150ft

We'd estimated 160' a few years ago.....

Matt
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

mattmaxon wrote:
cougarmagic wrote: We descended Leontine, the biggest of the falls here at 160' (correct me if I'm wrong...)
My new 300ft 8.3 mm rope would just reach double so... it's 150ft

We'd estimated 160' a few years ago.....

Matt
That's over 90 meters! :shock:
What's that sucker weigh in at, Matt? Just curious.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice videos... thanks for sharing. A lot more water than when I was there the day before the rains started!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

amazing how much there is to document in the front range....
atthe cobb estate trail head a group of kids with some film equipment asked me how to get to the rubio falls
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Dave G wrote:That's over 90 meters! :shock:
What's that sucker weigh in at, Matt? Just curious.
Imlay Canyon Gear, Canyon Fire

It's 3 lb 13.6 oz per 100 feet or 11.55lbs

The major flaw in this otherwise fire rope is it sucks up water like mad

it seemed like it had a gallon in it! It'd be interesting to weigh it

The Bluewater Canyon Pro DS and Canyon Xtreme definitely absorbed less water
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks for the report. Did I eye the invasive vegetation grown back like a forest below Moss Grotto (lower one of the tag team rappel video)? <---says desperate me with one bottle of pesticide in hand.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm not up on plants too well - lots of "canyon kelp" in there, but nothing was really overgrown. Other than that, I don't know what species were there.

It is always amazing to me how much the last falls is revealing itself again. Every time I go there, the slide debris is noticeably less. I never got to see it as it was - only saw photos.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »