General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

TacoDelRio wrote:Anyone know what the snow level is at the moment?
People on the WW site are reporting snow from West Cayon valley, which puts it below 4500'.
The News just said Palmdale is getting snow. That puts it at 3500 or below. :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL YEAH!

THANKS BILL! 8)
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Nice. I'll be headed up in the morning to ruin all that virgin snow.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Went up Icehouse Canyon this morning just to check it out, snow level as of 9 AM this morning started round around the parking lot. Within half a mile it was easily 4 or so inches, and it only got deeper quicker from there.

Tons of snow

Dont go up baldy unless you have chains, I had to push a few cars that were stuck because theyre retarded. Planned on Ski hut trail but there were too many idiots up there without chains
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Funyan005 wrote:Tons of snow
Dont go up baldy unless you have chains, I had to push a few cars that were stuck because theyre retarded. Planned on Ski hut trail but there were too many idiots up there without chains
:shock: What's it say under some one's messages on this board - "You can't fix stupid" - but you can push them off the road :D
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I got onto register ridge around noon and it was nightmarish. I got knocked off my feet a few times and called it quits. Going down my tracks had disappeared. Fun.

Saw someone in a little hatchback pretty much flooring it around icehouse, just crawling uphill spinning his tires. Fuckin' hilarious.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LA car owners + mountain weather = GTFO of the way! :shock:
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Instead of the sobriety checkpoint the cops setup sometimes on Mountain Ave for drunk sledders on their way home from Manker, they should setup a stupidity checkpoint on the way up to keep the idiots and the east LA crowd out of the hills. :lol:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Lookin good, kids...

He219

Post by He219 »

Yeah, Baby!
Augie

Post by Augie »

gregp909 wrote:keep ... the east LA crowd out of the hills. :lol:
Is that really called for? Legitimate gripes about how some people behave in the outdoors are one thing, but to tar a whole ethnic group is unjustified. I see comments like this one from time to time on this forum and it really disturbs me.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Augie wrote:
gregp909 wrote:keep ... the east LA crowd out of the hills. :lol:
. . .legitimate gripes about how some people behave in the outdoors are one thing. . .to tar a whole ethnic group is unjustified.
I am happy you felt compelled to call me out. . .I like people with opinions that aren't afraid to share them.

The fact you recognize that there are legitimate concerns with the way people behave in the outdoors means that you understood the intent of what I posted. I didn't I tar a whole ethnic group, since 1) I didn't use any ethnic terminology that singled out any particular group, and 2) even if you mistakenly inferred something from my comment, I didn't realize the whole of any ethnic group lived in just east LA.

My best friend is from latin heritage, I lived in South America for many years, (I even LOVE Mexican food :lol: ) so be careful before you imply someone is racist -- you know what they say about assuming something before you know your facts. . .

Cheers.

***Sorry to hijack the post, let's get back to the weather and all the glorious snow we are all so excited about!!!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

gregp909 wrote: I didn't I tar a whole ethnic group, since 1) I didn't use any ethnic terminology that singled out any particular group, and 2) even if you mistakenly inferred something from my comment, I didn't realize the whole of any ethnic group lived in just east LA.
do people from east LA have their addresses printed on their shirts when they go in the mountains?
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

SO! I see it's raining outside, that's uhhh a lot of snow? And uhhh..yah hw bout all that snow
Bill

Post by Bill »

Cricket! Cricket! Cricket!
Yup. It's snowing!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey hey, all the feelings in this thread are making the snow melt.
Plus, it's the JERSEY crowd you wanna keep outta the mountains! Then again, it's preferable to keep them out of everything.

Any numbers of what's up there from folks up there? How's Wrightwood?

Just got me thinking... time to check up on the Wrightwood forum.

Edit: link: http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/index.php
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

"January 22, 2010 Snow Report-
We picked up 12-18 inches of new snow over our 3-5 foot base "

By my math thats about 6-8 feet of snow just at the notch.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

I was up there yesterday for about 8 hours before we pulled the plug around 10PM because of intense lighting strikes. I will post a TR but there is an insane amount of snow!! It is almost pointless to measure because there is so much. Numerous signs of slough avalanches including many which totally covered the road past the gate. So dig pits and be careful. Lots of hail fell during the thunderstorms further compromising the adhesion of the snowpack. Good luck this weekend :D There is at least 4 feet at the trail head as of 11PM on Thursday.
mve

Post by mve »

Where exactly were you? Ski Hut trail? How far up it? Did you use pons, snowshoes or neither to get up there? Come on man -- not enough info! :lol:
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

:D chill...just can't wait for a TR can ya? We camped low (6,600 ft) on the Register Ridge. Forget about crampons and forget about making it past the gate without snowshoes.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

MTN HIGH - 22 JAN 2010

glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Greg- That looks AMAZING. I was up there last week and there was nothing outside of the blown snow on the runs. I assume that's you?

Taco- ???? :?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. :-) Without saying it.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Ha. No I know what you are saying but I was wondering why... :D Jealous?
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Ha. No I know what you are saying but I was wondering why... :D Jealous?
mve

Post by mve »

glamisking wrote::D chill...just can't wait for a TR can ya? We camped low (6,600 ft) on the Register Ridge. Forget about crampons and forget about making it past the gate without snowshoes.
come on dude stop teasing us put up the TR -- not need to get fancy with words :lol: picture's worth a thousand words! :D

So I need snowshoes? This hobby is getting to be really expensive lately!
mve

Post by mve »

mve wrote:come on dude stop teasing us put up the TR -- not need to get fancy with words :lol: picture's worth a thousand words! :D
Never mind -- you already did post it -- https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=2407 thanks!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

glamisking wrote:Ha. No I know what you are saying but I was wondering why... :D Jealous?
Just happy about the amount of snow. I've done enough camping in snow and whatnot, so there's no jealousy there! :lol:
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Hi all,

My daughter and I are going to snowshoe from Manker Flat tomorrow morning. How early should we plan exiting the 210 to get a good parking spot and avoid the deluge of crazy drivers?

Thanks,
Jim
Long Beach