great story of roughing during snow storm

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Finally nice to read about a competent hiker

By Associated Press
January 18, 2010 1:43 PM

BENTON, N.H. - New Hampshire authorities say a Maine man who spent the night stuck on Mount Moosilauke in frigid temperatures and high winds did a good job staying safe.

Sixty-four-year-old Richard Barrie of Kittery had planned a day hike to the mountain’s summit but got lost in whiteout conditions on his way down Friday afternoon. While his friends and Fish and Game officials searched for him during the evening, Barrie built a snow cave and hunkered down for the night.

Fish and Game Lt. Todd Bogardus says crews were preparing to head out again Saturday morning when Barrie made his own way off the mountain unharmed. He says Barrie had appropriate skills and gear and had left an itinerary with friends, which all contributed to the safe outcome.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Mt. Moosilauke was my first 4,000-footer. I hiked it when I was about eight years old. The top 100 feet or so are above treeline and the views are fantastic. I hiked up there again last year and encountered nearly zero visibility on top. In those conditions, staying on trail can be difficult.