Baldy 1-17-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

In advance of the coming series of storms predicted for this week, I hiked up Register Ridge to Harwood, Baldy, West Baldy and a bit of the San Antonio Ridge. I wanted to check out the portion of the ridge that Zach and I couldn't see when we bailed on a traverse attempt (due to my having the stomach flu) last weekend. The weather started out sunny, though windy, and then deteriorated throughout the day as the first front rolled in. The rain started coming down hard just as I put my pack in the Jeep at Manker Flats at ~2p. Lotsa snow to come I hope!
Pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 235770706/

The storms, they are a comin'! :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice pictures Dave, glad you are feeling better and glad you got back out over the weekend.

How far (distance and elevation) did you drop on the SA ridge?

No doubt we are getting slammed with snow right now :D

So going back over the traverse may need to be post poned for a month but I'm willing once conditions allow for it.

Let me know if and when you want to go back.

Thanks for the TR. :D
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Great shots!

This may be a dumb question but I assume the Register Ridge trail is found by taking the ridge to the immediate right after the register on the ski hut trail -- then just follow the ridge?

I am getting tired of the same old ski hut trail and want to find something new to do in the bowl area.

Thanks.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Patrick-I only went ~500' below West Baldy. I was kinda planning on tagging Gunsight, but I got a (lazy) late start and besides, those clouds were moving fast! :shock:
I'll let you know when I go back. It looks like everything East of the notch would actually go easier with good hard snow, because you'd be above all the dreaded Buckthorn. But the notches would be safer dry, so maybe come spring?

Greg-That's correct. After the second right turn, or 100 paces (I counted them once :) ) beyond the register box (hence the name), you head up and right. The use trail is actually becoming quite pronounced; maybe we should stop talking about it. :oops: After you gain the ridge, just stay on it until you either bisect the Backbone Trail or top out on Mt Harwood.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Dave G wrote:Greg-That's correct. After the second right turn, or 100 paces (I counted them once :) ) beyond the register box (hence the name), you head up and right. The use trail is actually becoming quite pronounced; maybe we should stop talking about it. :oops:
Maybe, but it was ok to tell Greg. :D
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Thanks.

Now, just so we are clear. . .this is the Register Ridge located near San Gorgonio at the southwest end of the Jenks Lake parking lot behind the third tree to the left after you walk in circles for 5 minutes, just after you get off the San Jacinto tram??? Right???

My lips are sealed! :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

gregp909 wrote:Now, just so we are clear. . .this is the Register Ridge located near San Gorgonio at the southwest end of the Jenks Lake parking lot behind the third tree to the left after you walk in circles for 5 minutes, just after you get off the San Jacinto tram??? Right???

My lips are sealed! :lol:
You got it! Definitely keep it quiet! :lol:
norma r

Post by norma r »

nice photos Dave. :D were they taken with your new camera?

amazing how much snow had melted out. the rock shelters on the summit that were under snow just a few weeks ago were exposed, but they are under snow again!!

i hear the call of first tracks!...