San Gabriel bears are "bad" bears (article)

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I think I've heard this before..might have been from here, so I'm sorry if this is a re-post.

http://cbs2.com/local/Bear.Black.Southl ... 32180.html
State biologists say that hundreds of black bears roaming the Southland are the descendants of 33 troublesome bears that were relocated here from the Sierra Nevada during the 1930s.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Yeah, I have heard this too. Actually, it was in my Introduction to Forestry class at Citrus College. But I don't believe it. Black Bears are ubiquitous in the lower 48 and it just isn't logical that there were none in the San Gabriels before the trouble makers were released here in the 1930's; which is what we were told in class. The article suggests that the Black Bears were here but eradicated along with the Grizzly's, however that doesn't make sense either because there are consistent reports of Black Bears throughout the 20th century; and the BB's were no more threatening to the mountain travelers then than they are now - there would be no reason to eliminate them. I also resent the characterization of the BB's that results from this story - that of natural-born menaces.

I have often thought, from a purely ecological point of view, that the Grizzly's ought to be reintroduced, but that's never gonna happen.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

PackerGreg wrote:I have often thought, from a purely ecological point of view, that the Grizzly's ought to be reintroduced
Wow, would I love that!! I wonder if they would have enough space anymore though.

I read a couple of great books about grizzlys this summer by Doug Peacock ("Grizzly Years" and something else...I forget the title....) Some really amazing stories of his encounters with them.