Verdugo Bobcats

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Check em out:

Full story is at www.cougarmagic.com! (Cougarmagic is also now on Facebook - cause it just wasn't nerdy enough as it is... :lol: )

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 732?ref=mf
Zach

Post by Zach »

why do they keep rubbing their feet like that?
mve

Post by mve »

Probably cleaning up the spot before dropping their butt there :D Cats are very clean animals.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Zach wrote:why do they keep rubbing their feet like that?
They're doing this:
Urine and fecal markings are usually deposited in conjunction with a scrape. A bobcat makes a scrape by raking its hind paws rearward in order to build a pile of debris consisting of leaves, twigs and dirt. The urine or feces is then deposited onto the top of the pile. In this way, the marker is elevated so that a breeze can carry and spread the smell of the scrape, which is the scent of the marking bobcat.
http://www.coryi.org/bobcatecology.htm
mve

Post by mve »

:lol:
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Nice!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Love those Verdugo bobcats. My avatar picture is of one that inhabited my back yard for a week or so a few years back. He's licking his chops, not because he planned to devour me, but because he was feeding on a deer carcass. It took him a week, but there was literally nothing left when he was through. (No, I don't actually know that it was "him" and not "her."):D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

What about that tomcat at the end of the video... or was it a mattcat?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Mike P wrote:What about that tomcat at the end of the video... or was it a mattcat?
It's the true story of this video...very rare siting to be sure Historic!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Very cool video CM!

I hike in the Verdugos a lot and have been fortunate enough to have had 3 Bobcat sightings over the years, including an eye level staredown in Wildwood Canyon Park (the bob won, I had to go to work).

I really enjoy all of your videos. Thank you for the time, effort and expense you put into making and posting them!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

mattmaxon wrote:It's the true story of this video...very rare siting to be sure Historic!
M. Maxxonius prefers brushy, mountainous terrain, cool climates, and has been found to roam great distances! Most active at dawn. Diet is omnivorous, but prefers burritos from the Burrito Factory. :lol: