Cougar Quiz

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/huntereduca ... ionId.html

I hate to brag, but I got 100% right... 8)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

cougarmagic wrote:http://fwp.mt.gov/education/huntereduca ... ionId.html

It's not bragging if you know what you are doing :D
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

cougarmagic wrote:http://fwp.mt.gov/education/huntereduca ... ionId.html

I agree with lilbitmo. If you're "cougarmagic" and it's a cougar quiz, you ain't bragging. :)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I got a 68% by making an uneducated guess at each question.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I am disappointed. I came into this thread expecting something completely different.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

TacoDelRio wrote:I am disappointed. I came into this thread expecting something completely different.
You a fan of the TV show? :)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

TacoDelRio wrote:I am disappointed. I came into this thread expecting something completely different.
Taco that's another type of "Cougar Quiz" altogether, of which I'm sure you'd ace or get 110% :D :shock:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dang it! 83%. (Got the sexing right though.)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

53%...slightly better than flipping a coin...which is what I did. Too furry...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm really surprised I got them right, actually...

It's good they're trying to help hunters pick males over females (the abandoned kittens starve to death...not cool), but I wonder how much you can really do...I mean, it's one thing to tell a grizzly from a black bear (that was another quiz I took - didn't do as well on that!), but a male vs female cougar...? In the field?? Tough....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AlanK wrote:
You a fan of the TV show? :)
Haven't seen it, any good?

Patrick, heck yeah. Hey, nice usertitle. How'd you get that?
Zach

Post by Zach »

i was flipping through this book about cougars at REI, encounters of the worse kind... i saw there was a disproportionate number of attacks here in CA at the Cuyamaca Wilderness area. Not only that, a lot of the attacks involved more than one cat... i thought they were solitary animals?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

cougarmagic wrote:I'm really surprised I got them right, actually...

It's good they're trying to help hunters pick males over females (the abandoned kittens starve to death...not cool), but I wonder how much you can really do...I mean, it's one thing to tell a grizzly from a black bear (that was another quiz I took - didn't do as well on that!), but a male vs female cougar...? In the field?? Tough....
All kidding aside the females should be ear tagged so that hunters cannot ever make that mistake.

Taco which "User Title" are you referring to?

Zach, I've been in plenty of OC bars, those cougars attack in pairs all the time :wink: :shock: :D
mve

Post by mve »

lilbitmo wrote:Taco which "User Title" are you referring to?

:D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

mve wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:Taco which "User Title" are you referring to?

:D
Not sure I want to know what that means but I wasn't aware of it being there until you pointed that out mve - now it makes since. Wasn't there yesterday, or was it?

So Taco, what's the real meaning behind that? If it's too much for the board send me a PM and let me have a good laugh at it :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't know, I was hoping you would know.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Zach wrote:i was flipping through this book about cougars at REI, encounters of the worse kind... i saw there was a disproportionate number of attacks here in CA at the Cuyamaca Wilderness area. Not only that, a lot of the attacks involved more than one cat... i thought they were solitary animals?
The proportions are easy to skew when the sample size is so low - one attack in a particular place is a 100% increase from another place with none...you know? But, Cuyamaca has a lot of cougars (much more than the San Gabriels, I think), and a lot of hikers, bikers, and runners.

A lot of the attacks are also by young, "dispersing" males (insert cougar/young male joke here). At about 18 months old, they leave their mother and start hunting on their own - and they're not the best hunters yet, so they're more likely to be hungry and desperate. But I'm not familiar with stories of more than one attacking at a time - what did the book say?
Zach

Post by Zach »

In one instance a cougar attacked a person at a campsite, the ranger showed up and shot the cat and was attacked from behind by another cat. In another account the person was chased up a tree by the cougar, which tried to climb the tree and was joined by another cougar on the ground. I'll try to look it up again so I can get the exact details. I just remember thinking it was strange that there were more than 1 cougar involved in some of the attacks.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I got a 76% taking it cold. Actually got the specific Montana regs right, but missed a few of the sex questions.

I think it would be tough to sex in the field (mind out of the gutters guys); if you're gonna hunt 'em best to study up.

That's one reason that using dogs to hunt is helpful - you get a little more time to identify when treed. Though it will be a stressful situation.
mve

Post by mve »

TacoDelRio wrote:I don't know, I was hoping you would know.
It's PHPBB's Ranks -- they are defined in the Administration Control Panel under USERS and GROUPS. At least that's where it is on my own install of it (v3).

EDIT: basically once a user reaches a certain number of posts he/she is granted a new rank. Site Admin can define these ranks and the number of posts each has to make to reach them.

My guess is that myfreeforum.org has some ranks predefined and it just kicked in ...

-HTH
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nope. :lol: