L.A. County considers automated wildfire detection system

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Also known as "looking".
Bill

Post by Bill »

Not saying it won't happen, but not holding my breath. Tough to see how the County is going to pay for an expensive untested system in the face of a recession and huge budget cuts. Oh wait, I guess thats how we do things now adays. :lol:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich wants Los Angeles County to maintain an automated early detection and response system that could put out wildfires within minutes after they break out.

What kind of system would that be. Some star wars like satellites that detect everything and then send a squadron of Predator fire fighting drones to put it out automagically?

Yeah, they've got billions for that.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Too little Too LATE! :cry:
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

The next time a fire breaks out near the ACH - I say we just clear the road, let Taco jump behind the wheel of one of those big water tanker truck thingies and let him rip!!! I bet he can get from it's starting point to Wrightwood in like 15 minutes :P :P Two hands on the steering wheel and at least two tires on the road at all times :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm down for that. Hell, I'll do it for free, so long as I get to eat at Newcomb's Ranch for free.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

outwhere wrote:The next time a fire breaks out near the ACH - I say we just clear the road, let Taco jump behind the wheel of one of those big water tanker truck thingies and let him rip!!! I bet he can get from it's starting point to Wrightwood in like 15 minutes :P :P Two hands on the steering wheel and at least two tires on the road at all times :wink:
I thought we were down to a "one tire requirement" :roll:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Depends on suspension loading characteristics. Assuming a full Deuce-and-half going around a solid #3 turn with 1 ton of water in the back on whatever off roadish tires they've got, and the typical live axle with leaf setup, I'd want at least 3 of 10 tires (if 3 axle) on the ground. Good luck doing that uphill.