Trail Maintenance Training

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Just passing along a (slightly edited) email from a well-respected trail boss...

Hi [ *],

Great working with you Saturday, despite all of the chiefs who were along on the trip....and that [ *] guy. Best to keep him happy, I suppose.

Anyway, I know he mentioned trail maintenance training on 01/30, and a few people in your crew expressed interest. To add to that training, I thought they might want to know about some FREE publications and DVDs that they can order, which they can find at the following website:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/rec ... ailpub.htm

I personally ordered and have received the following:

1. Building Mountain Bike Trails: Sustainable Singletrack (DVD)
2. Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook (2007)
3. Trail Training DVD Series: DVD 1 Includes: "Handtools for Trail Work" and "An Ax to Grind." DVD 2 Includes: "Constructing Trail Switchbacks," "Basic Trail Maintenance," "Trails in Wet Areas: Turnpike and Puncheon Construction," and "Surface Water Control Techniques for Trail Maintenance."
4. Wetland Trail Design and Construction - 2007 Edition

I haven't watched any of the DVDs but I have thumbed through #2, and it seems to be a fairly good quick field guide measuring 7 1/2" x 4" x 1/2".

The same publications - as well as many more - are available here as PDF documents if your crew would like to preview them before ordering (or if they'd like to print copies for themselves):

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/index.htm

Anyway, I thought you might want to pass this info along to your crew and have them take advantage of these free materials (includes shipping, too).

See ya in February!

[ *]
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Point of clarification: I am a third party here. I did not work on trails Saturday past.