Little Santa Anita canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I always wondered what the canyon was like upstream from First Water. So I went.

There was a use trail at first, passing a few pools.

It then became a boulder-hop, and when I hit this 15' waterfall, that was the end of my progress. It looked possible to climb on canyon left, but a brief attempt got my spider sense tingling, and I decided doing this solo wasn't a bright idea.

There was one obvious cabin ruin, and this...thing. Some kind of water collection/storage no doubt.

"Rapunzel!!"

Mighty purty.

The normal low trickle of water in LSA proper.

Oh Noes! I assume this poor guy fell to his doom. I briefly looked for evidence of cougar-chomping, (punctures in the braincase, chewed ribs, etc) but he was pretty stinky and people on the trail were looking at me funny. So I wasn't real thorough. :oops:

Except for that last bit, it was a beautiful day!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for posting this. I too have always wondered what was upstream from First Water.

How close to the trail was the carcass?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

It was here:

Just a few feet below the trail, where the trail crosses a gully that was recently washed out. Just listen for the buzzing flies! eeeeew
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Cougarmagic/Hikeup:
I believe the stone structure in the photo is the old gauging station. The foundation between First water and the gauging station was the location of the old "Quarter Way House".

It is pretty back there!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

if thats the carcass that in the little wash on the right side near the first major switch back that takes a right just before the the step part to first water. then i remember being him intact with just a huge hole in the side......
back in october
AW~

Post by AW~ »

interesting.....that stone housing escaped the LSA fire?
I wonder how much of that growth is from invasive species plants? o
Augie

Post by Augie »

Nice report and pics. Any idea where you could drop in off the trail high in the canyon to explore what other drops there might be above First Water?
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Yes, old gauging station.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Augie wrote:Nice report and pics. Any idea where you could drop in off the trail high in the canyon to explore what other drops there might be above First Water?
I'm interested in dropping in at Orchard Camp. I've heard that Brennen says there's "nothing there". But even without big drops, I think it would be an interesting hike. Let me know if you decide to go!
Augie

Post by Augie »

cougarmagic wrote:
I'm interested in dropping in at Orchard Camp. I've heard that Brennen says there's "nothing there". But even without big drops, I think it would be an interesting hike. Let me know if you decide to go!
I agree that would be interesting even if it turns out just a hike/downclimb. BTW, has anyone ever noticed that bolt where the trail crosses the creek about 1/2 to 1 mile above Orchard Camp?

As for an outing, I'm right now recovering from an achilles tendon tear sustained about 5 weeks ago. It'll still be 6-8 weeks before I can do anything in the outdoors.