Crisis? What Crisis?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Tom Tidwell, the current Chief of the USDA Forest Service (the guy from Washington D.C.), was in the LA area over the holidays. He was heard to say that he didn't understand all the fuss over the Station Fire, and he is very upset by all the negative press.

After all, it's not like The Angeles has any valuable timber or grazing land, right? Apparently he is not aware of how important the recreation and open space is to the well-being of millions of nearby city dwellers, not to mention the consequential poor air-quality, flood hazards, loss of wildlife habitat etc.

Let him know what you think:
ttidwell@fs.fed.us

US Forest Service
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, D.C.
20250-0003
(800) 832-1355
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

YOUR avatar perfectly reflects that goons attitude
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

So Tom Tidell was "heard to say". Are his comments somewhere in the public record? In the newspaper? On tape? Who exactly heard them? When and where? We need facts not hearsay. Frankly, I have a hard time believing that the head of the forest service would shrug off half of a national forest burning down. Not that it is impossible, just that I need more than a vague rumor.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Do you think I just pulled it out of my donkey? I am not down on the Forest Service as a concept. I love it. It is one of the last bastions of democracy. But The Angeles is falling apart, and it is due to lack of management. Complacency is rampant and the buck stops at us citizens. If we disregard everything that isn't in the LA Times, we may never get a foothold. Besides, you never now what donkey is feeding REAL information to the media.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The Chief of the Forest Service is a political appointee, and not necessarily an environmentalist. George "W" appointed a lumber company lobbyist as Chief. Don't assume that because someone works for the Forest Service that they give a damn. Most in The Angeles never get out of their office or truck. And don't assume that because we have Democrat as President that we don't have a forest chief with a different attitude. It's all about the money, and they see The Angeles as a drain.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I am still waiting for an answer to my questions. How do you know he said it?
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Do you expect me to expose someone under Jody Noiron's reign of terror? Take it or leave it, but the more that leave it, the worse our forest will get.

My info is good, credible and effective. Screenshot of my email account...
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

PackerGreg wrote:Do you expect me to expose someone under Jody Noiron's reign of terror? Take it or leave it, but the more that leave it, the worse our forest will get.

My info is good, credible and effective. Screenshot of my email account...
Where did he say this? Like the man said....
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Where did he say this? Like the man said....
What is this? An episode of The Rockford Files?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

this ain't a rumor mill! bring the hard evidence. why don't you email the guy yourself and simply ask if he stated that?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I believe you Greg. I'm not surprised, either.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

for someone who doesn't care about the fire/Angeles, it's ironic he spent several hours with USFS employees (and others) that lost their homes in the fire, on Sept 26 in Big T Canyon. :? Not exactly something someone that doesn't give a shit about the Angeles would do, imo.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The problem is, Greg, that some of us take an evidence-based approach to these situations. Honestly, you sound like a bit of a conspiracy theorist to me.

Why should we believe you any more than we should believe, say, Jody Noiron?

Don't worry... my suit is flame retardant.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

We're gonna have to call a tanker drop on this one, cuz it's gettin' HOT in here.
Bill

Post by Bill »

What could this Tidwell guy say that matters anyway? The Station Fire was a tragedy because lives and property were lost. Brush is gonna burn. It's part of the cycle of life and renewal. Learn from mistakes and move on. Let's not beat a dead donkey ur.... horse. :lol: