Idlehour-Lowe-Castle-Cobb

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Having just returned from a chilly Chicagoland, the weather in the San Gabriels yesterday was amazing. As others have noted, the clear skies made for beautiful views over the Santa Monicas towards the Channel Islands.

Lake Michigan, looking towards Chicago.

The view towards downtown Los Angeles from the Toll Road.

View towards Mts. Lowe, Markham, etc, before the descent to Idlehour Campground.

Idlehour trail, approaching Mt. Lowe junction.

View towards Mt. Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak.

This side of Disappointment burned nearly to the canyon floor.

Upper Bear Canyon.

Looks like the San Gabriel Peak trail from Markham Saddle is a goner.

Looking west, centered on the Gabrielino Trail above the Arroyo.

GPS track and elevation info.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Elwood, where were you standing when you took the picture on Lake Michigan? Gary Indiana?

The shots of the burned areas are hard to look at but the good news is they will eventually start recovering, let's hope we get some more snow and rain to make that happen sooner :D

Bet you are glad you not living in Chicago with those nice negative temp's they are seeing right now? :shock:

Welcome back :D
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Glad to be back. The Lake Michigan picture was taken from Sheriden Beach at the north end of Michigan City, IN.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

u should send jake to san gabriel peak from cobb
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Neat. Hopefuly I'll be headed to Muir peak for a hike soon to take advantage of that dozer path Hikeup pictured some months back.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote:Neat. Hopefuly I'll be headed to Muir peak for a hike soon to take advantage of that dozer path Hikeup pictured some months back.
Dude...let me in on that! :D
Elwood wrote:The Lake Michigan picture...
I hear Joliet is nice this time of year! That Jake is quite a scofflaw and if he's not careful he may end up back there too :D :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote:
AW wrote:Neat. Hopefuly I'll be headed to Muir peak for a hike soon to take advantage of that dozer path Hikeup pictured some months back.
Dude...let me in on that! :D
As long as you dont mind XC travel...Im mean its no heavy duty work, but Im bringing a pair of loopers and they will be used. All I can promise is no required swimming, rappelling, 5th class climbs, iced gullies, jumping, or confined spaces...oh yeah, and my route violates NHPS standards by bagging Muir peak :(
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote:As long as you dont mind XC travel...Im mean its no heavy duty work, but Im bringing a pair of loopers and they will be used. All I can promise is no required swimming, rappelling, 5th class climbs, iced gullies, jumping, or confined spaces...oh yeah, and my route violates NHPS standards by bagging Muir peak :(
The more closely I look at the pics, the more and more class 3 potential I see. I'd be interested in going even it was just to throw rocks at you to make it more challenging for ya! :) PM sent.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Looks great! What's the status on Mt. Lowe? Is it open to hikers?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

edenooch wrote:u should send jake to san gabriel peak from cobb
Seconded.

Great photos. Cool hike!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

thirded!

If and when u send jake let me know. i need a word to have a word with that dude