Bedford Peak 2010-01-02

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked Bedford Peak in the Santa Ana Mountains Saturday.

The unmarked trail begins off Maple Springs Road and is shown on topo maps as the Silverado Motorway.

The last vehicle traffic here must have been 50 years ago. A couple of barriers and a downed tree prevent motorized access.
The road bed has not been maintained and is impassible in several spots anyway.

This area has seen some geologic activity as evidenced by the bent rock layers.

The day was pretty clear. As we got higher the views across Orange County and out to San Clemente and Catalina were great.

Digital cameras don't cut through the haze that well. The eye sees more than the camera can capture. It does not show in the pictures, but we did get a glimpse of Santa Barbara Island 86 miles distant.

Modjeska and Santiago Peaks loomed to the south.

The northern end of the Santa Anas.

Near the top of Bedford Peak, we reach the Main Divide Road which is surprisingly well maintained.

A sweeping view to the east shows Baldy, Gorgonio, and Jacinto.

San Gorgonio with Lake Matthews.

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Great report Richard. I enjoy that area. I still haven't made it over to Bald or Pleasant Peaks. One of these days......

The rock formation you photographed is the Bedford Canyon Formation
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I was nearby on Saturday as well.
I drove from Maple Springs up to Main Divide. From there I went south to Santiago Peak (skirting Modjeska) watched the sunset; and then conitinued on Main Divide all the way to Ortega.
I can assure you that not all of Main Divide is as in that picture! :D

An enjoyable day for me and the dogs exploring some of our backyard,

The views were incredible.
Spotted Islands of San Clemente, Cataalina and some other Northern Channel Islands whose name(s) I can't place geographically - maybe Saint Barbara.

Haven't downloaded my photos yet, but I tried to get some panos that took in the three saints in snow.

Did you see many mountain bikers? Motorway is pretty popular.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Rumpled - The Motorway had plenty of mountain bikes. The Main Divide had a bunch of dirt bike riders.