Mt. Zion: 12-30-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Mt. Zion this morning out of Chantry Flat. Took the Gabrielino/Sturtevant trail to Camp Sturtevant, then up the Zion trail to Mt. Zion, down to Hoegees Camp and returned to Chantry on the Upper Winter Creek trail. Somewhere between a 9 and 10 mile loop. Was partly cloudy at the start but as soon as I got to Mt. Zion it started to rain. Rained off and on the whole way back to Chantry.

Pics.

Saw no one until after I started down from the peak. A few trail runners with a dog, a few groups of hikers, etc. The dogs name was Trotsky I believe. It was scared to pass me so the owner had to drag him past, growling. I guess it knew I wasn't a Bolshevik :lol:

On the Upper Winter Creek trail I ran into a group of 8 or so young men and women doing trail maintenance - thanks! I had brought my loppers along but only used them a few times to get rid of annoying low hanging branches. The trails are in superb condition.

Winter Creek...

The uninspiring summit of Mt. Zion...

The Gabrielino trail up to Newcomb Pass is posted as closed where it leaves the Sturtevant trail...