Josephine Peak via West Ridge

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I am taking it easy this Sunday and doing something local. I am thinking about hiking Josephine Peak via the west ridge. Sort of exploratory, but I have read a trip report about this been done before and goes pretty easy. Maybe include Strawberry Peak in the hike and set up a car shuttle.

Anyone interested?

let me know!
Travis

Post by Travis »

Here is a Map of the proposed route: I have added Lawlor as well.

And here is the Google Earth KMZ file:

http://www.class3hiking.com/josephine-s ... lawlor.kmz
Augie

Post by Augie »

Is it a Sierra Club TR?
Travis

Post by Travis »

I just sent you this e-mail, but will post incase others are interested.

Here is a brief trip report.

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/archives/hps01360.htm

We would park at the 22.45 mile marker just off Angeles Forest Highway (left off of ACH). If you read the trip report, the author sugests hiking up the drainage a bit first then hiking up to the subisdary ridge to the main ridge. We can play it by ear. It doesn't look bad to just gain the subsidary ridge directly. This section is said to the the most difficult and most brushy.

I don't know if you looked at the route I propose, but I would like to stay on this main ridge and follow the east ridge down to Josephne saddle (rather than hiking the fireroad), then up to Strawberry down and up Lawlor. I uploaded the map here:
http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/joseph ... awestrdige
Augie

Post by Augie »

Sounds good. I agree. Let's stay on the ridge rather than drop down to the road after Josephine. So we will need a car shuttle. We'll have to count on no snow/icy roads.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Yes, I forgot about needing a shuttle. If we don't get any other participants then I guess we will both need to drive. Meet at Red Box for 7 am, we will drop a car and drive down to our starting point. Tom is out of town and Ryan is heading out to New Jack City.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I think your proposed route includes too much "trail" and bypasses a few bushes. :wink:

Kudos, though, on choosing to do it with rain/snow in the forecast!

Seriously, looks like you've found one of the more difficult/fun ways to bag Josephine. I'd guess you'll have some snow on Strawberry.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks interesting. Haven't tried that SW ridge approach up Josephine. I'll be curious to see your TR.

It probably is best with a car shuttle, but I've done the loop up Colby, over Strawberry, and then out at Red Box more than once. I've always managed to hitch hike.

Yeah, I know, hitchhiking. In LA County. :shock: So I've got a death wish (not really). Seriously though, I've often met other hikers on the trail, talked with them a while, and then, if they seem cool, asked them if they've got an extra seat. No, not the most reliable, but it might be an option. I've not had a problem with it.

If you don't mind a few extra miles, you can also skip Lawlor and instead turn left (Northish) when you get off Stawberry Pk, head to Straberry Cienaga (there is an intermittant spring on this section BTW), then from the cienaga back to the saddle (Josephine Saddle) where the trail up Colby Canyon comes back in. From here you can retrace your steps or go down the Colby Canyon Trail. If you go down the Colby Canyon Trail, you still have to have a shuttle, but it's a lot shorter than driving to Red Box. The back side of Strawberry is interesting if you haven't been. Just an option of course. Your planned route looks great

You could also descend via the fire road to Clear Cr Junction where the little mini ranger station is, but personally I find fire roads to be stultifyingly boring.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Travis wrote:Yes, I forgot about needing a shuttle. If we don't get any other participants then I guess we will both need to drive. Meet at Red Box for 7 am, we will drop a car and drive down to our starting point. Tom is out of town and Ryan is heading out to New Jack City.
Ok. Red Box at 7 am. We'll have to keep track of the weather though. If there is fresh snow or ice on SR2 you'll get stopped at the big turnout before Clear Creek Junction and be required to put on chains or have snow tires.
Travis

Post by Travis »

This hike was posponed due to rain. Will do it soon.