San Gorgonio via South Fork 12-19-09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Started out solo from the South Fork trail head at 5:15am and hit Poop Out hill just after sunrise. Snow started at the trail head and was well packed down until South Fork Meadows. I made my way up the drainage to Dry Lake then up the draw to the north face chutes.
As I neared the middle east chute zippetydude, bluerail and Fernando from the San Jacinto board caught up with me and continued up ahead. They are fast! Within minutes the were several hundred feet above me.
We transversed to the ridge at about 10,600' and continued up. Conditions on the ridge sucked. The larger rocks and trees were surrounded with powdery drifts and other areas were icy wind packed snow. It probably would have been better to stay in the chute.
Got to the summit about 11:30 and relaxed for a few minutes.
The wind was calm and temperatures were very mild on the summit.
We descended the NW ridge and followed the drainage back to Dry Lake.
The snow had softened somewhat with the warm temps and I postholed several times on the hike out, but other than that snow conditions were good. I found fresh tracks of what I think is a small bear near South Fork Meadows. Anyone know? Cougarmagic?
Got back to the trail head about 4pm then drove 2 hours to a birthday party....long day! More Pictures Here: San Gorgonio 12-19-09
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very, very nice pictures and report. On question though; did strong breezes from the Pacific account for the clam wind?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Beautiful shots! Too warm or just right?
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Nice going and great pics!

What a minute, if you were on San G, how is the $10 bill yours? :wink: :lol:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Elwood wrote:did strong breezes from the Pacific account for the clam wind?
You need to ask Johnny Mountain about that one.
TacoDelRio wrote:Too warm or just right?
Just right, never needed a jacket.
mve

Post by mve »

Nice TR -- I really like the South Fork and in fact keep thinking it would be cool to try Nordic skiing there ... What do you guys think? Is it doable? Or should we stick to fire roads in around that area instead (i.e. Fish Creek 1N05 road)?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

mve wrote:Nice TR -- I really like the South Fork and in fact keep thinking it would be cool to try Nordic skiing there ... What do you guys think? Is it doable? Or should we stick to fire roads in around that area instead (i.e. Fish Creek 1N05 road)?
Hi Vitaly, South Fork would be a great place to nordic ski. Each time I've been there in winter I've seen a really nice track running kinda East-West through Horse Meadow, bisecting the trail. Not sure, but I think they follow the fire road that loops through there.
simonov

Post by simonov »

What kind of equipment did you have? Just crampons and ice axe? Did you need any flotation?
Nunc est bibendum
mve

Post by mve »

Dave G wrote:
mve wrote:Nice TR -- I really like the South Fork and in fact keep thinking it would be cool to try Nordic skiing there ... What do you guys think? Is it doable? Or should we stick to fire roads in around that area instead (i.e. Fish Creek 1N05 road)?
Hi Vitaly, South Fork would be a great place to nordic ski. Each time I've been there in winter I've seen a really nice track running kinda East-West through Horse Meadow, bisecting the trail. Not sure, but I think they follow the fire road that loops through there.
That's great -- that you. I thought it could be doable and now I am really thinking of getting the metal edge skis for my family and giving it a shoot.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice TR and nice pics.

What was your total time RT?
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

simonov- No flotation necessary. I did post hole every once in a while, but not bad. I used crampons and axe above 9500'. Most people just going to dry lake were using snowshoes.

Enfuego- 10:45 car to car. About 3 to Dry Lake then 2:45 from dry lake to the summit. I really slowed down after dry lake. I am out of shape and haven't done anything serious in a while.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Looks like a bear cubbie track, yes!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

cougarmagic wrote:Looks like a bear cubbie track, yes!
Thats what I thought. Must be a hibernationly challenged bear. The track looked so fresh, and was so easy to follow, I was tempted to follow it and see if I could find the bear. I was to tired by that point though.