Baldy on Thursday Dec-17-2009

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mve

Post by mve »

I was inspired by this TR: https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=2257

And now contemplating taking a day off this Thursday to attempt Baldy (via Ski Hut trail) if anyone is interested -- please let me know.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm interested. Gotta be down at the trailhead by 4 though (I have school nearby).
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

mve wrote:I was inspired by this TR: https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=2257

And now contemplating taking a day off this Thursday to attempt Baldy (via Ski Hut trail) if anyone is interested -- please let me know.
Keep me on the list!

Earlier is definitely better than later
norma r

Post by norma r »

me three!
mve

Post by mve »

TacoDelRio wrote:I'm interested. Gotta be down at the trailhead by 4 though (I have school nearby).
Just want to make sure -- do you want to start at 04:00 or do you need to be done (back at TH) by 16:00?
mve

Post by mve »

Forecast says:

"Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 54. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 31. "

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en

There have been few Freeze and Thaw Cycles by now -- It'll be a different landscape from Sunday that's for sure.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I would need to be back at the trail by 1600. :)
mve

Post by mve »

Awesome! That's doable. I can typically round trip this trail in 5 hours with two 15-20 minute breaks one at the Hut and one at the Summit, but that's in the summer. I never attempted it all the way to the top in winter (I've been as far as the ridge few weeks ago but we didn't need crampons then).

I don't know how fast everyone else is -- I am most likely the slowpoke in the group.

What would be the best start time? 06:30-07:00? Would that work for everyone?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sounds good. Early = better. 0600? 0700?

I'd say maybe an hour slower overall in winter... though I've never kept track. Just kinda pulled that number out of a dark place.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'll be up providing I'm not sick, will be getting an earlier start time so you all can catch up!
norma r

Post by norma r »

looks like me, Matt, Ellen and Lilbitmo will be at Manker at 6am. mve and Taco, we're bound to run into you. group hike?... or every addict for himself? :lol:

btw... looking at Elwood's TR from Monday and the weather of this week it seems it will be mostly a 'pon & axe kind of day. i'll bring snowshoes just in case. anyone care to post their thoughts on this?
mve

Post by mve »

Looks like 6am it is -- sounds good to me.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sounds like you guys will pound down a nice trail for when I go up on Saturday morning.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Simonov, we might go a different way up than the main trial, but coming down we will be glad to pound down the trail :D
Zach

Post by Zach »

I think I'll be joining you guys. Does anyone care to lead me down the SA ridge to Iron?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zach wrote:I think I'll be joining you guys. Does anyone care to lead me down the SA ridge to Iron?
I'll commit to it when you get back from the Sierra's :D Tomorrow I need to be back before dark otherwise I'd consider it. You getting a ride from someone at Heaton? There's a second full moon this month on the 31st, make be good idea to hit Baldy summit right at sunrise then continue down San Antonio ridge in daylight so you have plenty to work with? Daylight that is :D What's the time frame you think it will take from Baldy summit to Heaton, my guess is 3 hours to Iron Summit, three hours down under the best conditions?
Zach

Post by Zach »

If we're leaving Manker at 0600 we should be on the summit by 1000ish at the latest? I still need to find a car shuttle but crossing the SA ridge should be no problem before dark (knock on wood). I just want to do it with someone who knows the way :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Norma, ditch the snowshoes. I haven't been on the trail, but IMHO the chances of needing them are very slim. More weight and stuff. Main trail is probably very well travelled by now, and the bowl will not have much postholing.

I'm gonna head up the leftmost chute. Gonna check out that turret as well.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All :)

Looking forward to seeing both familiar and new faces tomorrow on Baldy 8)

Taco -- I hope to finally meet you -- this forum's Kahuna and leader of Team Ginger Force :wink: Thanks also for the intel regarding snowshoes.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I look forward to meeting all of you guys! Also, it's not quite intel so much as an EWAG (Educated Wild Ass Guess).

GO LIGHT! 8)
Zach

Post by Zach »

wait a second? team ginger? snow creek? word must get around

taco: interested in doing the SA ridge tomorrow?
norma r

Post by norma r »

TacoDelRio wrote:GO LIGHT!
roger that.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach wrote:wait a second? team ginger? snow creek? word must get around

taco: interested in doing the SA ridge tomorrow?
No can do Hoss, got school. Have fun!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

See you guys up there. I'll be headed up a little earlier (my out of shape ass is probably going to take a while) to test out my tent with the deadmans I just cobbled together. Is there enough snow up top to bury guyline anchors?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Bert, yes, generally. When are you headed up?

I should be there around 6, maybe 10-15 minutes early.