Boney Mtn & Tri Peaks Caving 11-15-09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Norma took me on one of her local hikes up Boney Mtn in Point Mugu State Park. Afterwards we hiked over to Tri Peaks had a blast exploring the natural caves and tunnels beneath, including a new one she had just heard about. I anchored a static cord to a tree at the entrance just in case and it came in handy, as there are many route choices to be made as you descend deeper and deeper into the labyrinth. We never did reach the bottom chamber before the rope ran out and the choke points got so tight that I feared I might get stuck! Next time I'm bringing a longer rope and maybe some vaseline for the skinny spots! 8) Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 819995170/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dave, thanks for breaking up my dull day - those were great pictures, there's so much of the Ventura County area that I need to see.

You guys have a new name - the "Magu Two", you just keep going to fun places.

Thanks for sharing.

:D
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

deja vu, where did u find the big deep caves? missed that!
norma r

Post by norma r »

edenooch wrote:deja vu, where did u find the big deep caves? missed that!
if you hike from the mis-named Boney Mtn summit south to Tri-Peaks follow the trail. you will come to the Swiss Cheese Rock, keep going, eventually you come to the large rock opening to the right of the trail, kind of like a main entrance into Tri-Peaks. follow that to the right, go through the narrows and continue hiking on the rock to your left until you come to the area where someone has put the dead tree (still with leaves) into the ground next to a good sized opening.

that should help you. :D

my pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... ngTriPeaks#

lilbitmo: i like the nick-name. fits us well. especially since we are both visually impaired. :shock: :shock:
Zach

Post by Zach »

Nice TR, I like the caption about the chockstones staying chocked... that's gotta be unnerving. :shock:
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

cool photos of the caves....ever see the movie Descent :o