New Winter Route up Baldy??

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I had some great views of Mount Baldy (might have actually been West Baldy) from Iron Mnt. last Sunday. I couldn't help but notice this nice couloir (I think this is what it is) from the west. Pretty impressive. Taco, what do you think? Could you climb it?

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Travis

Post by Travis »

I am not sure, but I think it is more like this one:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG

It is south of San Antonio Ridge but north of Bighorn Ridge. Right between 2 major ridges.

Travis
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've had that listed as "Bighorn Couloir", and has been on my list for about 1.5 years. It would involve going though the ranch areas. I'm down if you are. I'd personally love to do this.

Baldy West Face, basically.

I'm ready to rock if y'all wanna go for it. I was looking at it this afternoon from Route 39...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Whammo:

Around 1220 meters of climbing. I'm measuring that from lower-snow levels in slightly-steeper parts. Won't know the figure till the climbing begins. 1220m does not reflect elevation gain for the day. Should be a car shuttle, Manker Flats to Cow Canyon Saddle. Hike in, go up that canyon (big if... never been there, could be a helluva canyoneering adventure, could be calm and easy), get into the couloir which widens into the face, head up West Baldy, and bam. Reaching Baldy would top route out at 10,000ft.

Here are some possible NF Routes, with names attached:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

1st one is the north face of West Baldy, which I have listed as the 810 meter long "Baldy Badly" route. 2nd one is the south face righthand couloir.

There is a large mixed "Black Pyramid" (idea stolen from Aconcagua's South Face) section for the first part of West Baldy's Direct North Face Route.

And sorry for the three posts in a row. Woo!
Travis

Post by Travis »

TacoDelRio wrote:Around 1220 meters of climbing. I'm measuring that from lower-snow levels in slightly-steeper parts. Won't know the figure till the climbing begins. 1220m does not reflect elevation gain for the day. Should be a car shuttle, Manker Flats to Cow Canyon Saddle. Hike in, go up that canyon (big if... never been there, could be a helluva canyoneering adventure, could be calm and easy), get into the couloir which widens into the face, head up West Baldy, and bam. Reaching Baldy would top route out at 10,000ft.
1220 meters of sustained climbing seems pretty intimidating! Do you figure it would be much steeper than the bowl? I think I would be up for it was long as it was just like baldy's bowl, but much longer. I am doing pretty good at knocking hikes off of my to do list, knocked off Iron via SW Ridge, this Sunday knocking off Rabbit/Villager (are you coming?) all i have left if Baldy via BHR. and I might just add this one too.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:1st one is the north face of West Baldy, which I have listed as the 810 meter long "Baldy Badly" route. 2nd one is the south face righthand couloir.
"Baldy Badly" I like it. :) Any one of those couloirs on the N Face between W Baldy and Baldy proper looks pretty gnarly.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I am a no-go for Rabbit/Villager, Travis. Thanks though!

You're in shape. Might want to get boots (I would recommend that) such as La Sportiva Trango's. The rest, as they say, is history.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

But isn't the southerly faces of baldy REALLY dangerous being that they get a lot of sun. Avalanche heaven. I was just curious, you guys are f'ing hard core.

k
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Depends on the daily conditions, and the week prior as well. I get hit by all sortsa stuff regardless. :lol:

We didn't do this yet... logistics are kinda a bitch... private property, unless one wants to take an exit couloir down from SA Ridge into it. Route total would be about 1200M of around AI2, nothing hard, but very cool nonetheless! Amazing view, I bet. Lower section below "bowl" would be in shade for a while. It is my opinion that this would be a badass climb to finish at sunset.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:Whammo:

Around 1220 meters of climbing. I'm measuring that from lower-snow levels in slightly-steeper parts. Won't know the figure till the climbing begins. 1220m does not reflect elevation gain for the day. Should be a car shuttle, Manker Flats to Cow Canyon Saddle. Hike in, go up that canyon (big if... never been there, could be a helluva canyoneering adventure, could be calm and easy), get into the couloir which widens into the face, head up West Baldy, and bam. Reaching Baldy would top route out at 10,000ft.

Here are some possible NF Routes, with names attached:
Taco - these images aren't showing up. Can you repost or send via email?

I'm interested in doing Bighorn couloir. I'll keep you posted when.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Which Bighorn CVOuloit/. That's Couloir when I type. Goddamn keyboard anger hate.

Here's the image. Should be an easy climb, but access would be the crux/big issue. Once you're in there, no biggie, just go.
Zach

Post by Zach »

i want in. when you planning this for?
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm just now coming to grips with the Full Moon Baldy excursion ..... and now this !!??

Wild stuff, keep it coming, cause I sure aint going... :P :P

and I just found some amazing pictures of people going up the north face of Jacinto - things I just didn't think were possible, let alone accomplished...