Trip report: Register ridge->Baldy->Dawson->Backbon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

I started Sunday morning from Manker Flats around 4:30am. Temp was around 30 and wind was gusting about the same (brrr!).

Went up Baldy bowl with Orion's belt and big dipper overhead....but overshot the trail-head for Register ridge. I had to turn around come back down. The light from my head lamp lit up the trail and "showed me the way".

For a weekend warrior like myself, the first leg (whatever that is) was rough, nearly vertical (felt like it). Finally got to the same level as the ski hut and started seeing patches of snow. Looked around me and saw Thunder Mountain blanketed with the same powdery stuff. Sun came up. The crisp air and blue sky made the manzanitas look bright green.

Got to Devil's backbone: few shaded areas up baldy had about 1-2 inches of snow...iced up. Crampons weren't required though. Wind was gusting maybe to 40 miles. I had to use a bandana as face mask: I could not feel my face!!! I noticed what looked like mountain lion footprints going across the snowy trail.

I went around baldy top and down to Dawson peak. Nothing noteworthy other than few patches of snow. Went back up baldy and had lunch behind one of the cairns. I could see Catalina and Saddleback on the west and Gorgonio (south?): looked like snow at the top.

Went down Devil's backbone to the dirt road. As I got to Baldy bowl trail-head, I notice there was a line of hikers waiting to take the trail. A line! Unreal!

The best part about my trip? I had Register ridge to myself. I am glad it is easy to miss: I don't want to see the same crowds that jammed up baldy bowl. Sorry if it sounds selfish.

First trip report. Next time, I'll take pictures.

Al.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Register ridge is the best way up
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

edenooch wrote:Register ridge is the best way up
Now, I know and I agree. Better keep it on the down low too.

I don't want that trail to get hammered by throngs of people.... :x
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

maybe we should disguise the beginning part of the ridge. clear away obviously signs of a use trail and add some branches and other stuff.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

wrote:maybe we should disguise the beginning part of the ridge. clear away obviously signs of a use trail and add some branches and other stuff.
I volunteer to lend a hand. Just say when. :)
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I AGREE we need to put like a half eaten deer carcass there. In 2 weeks about 50 peaks baggers are gonna storm that Biotch!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Al, it's so easy to walk right by Register Ridge trail head, you're not the first to do so without noticing it. Hell I've pointed it out to other's in my group and they still couldn't see it, it's a faint trail and I'm not to worried about it getting over use, it's a tough trail and the crowds tend to stay on the main trail, that first mile is rather tough for the average hiker.
With the onset of winter it will get even less travel.

The backbone get's all the folks that want to take the Ski Lift up so that they don't have to put in the extra effort to hike the mountain from a trailhead, it never surprises me when there's a "wagon train" of people coming from the lift area, that's a joke and I only go that way once a year if that - it reminds me of a cattle drive - half the time they are only carrying one bottle of water :roll: like they are on a picnic of something :shock:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Summiting via ski lifts is a picnic :wink:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:Register ridge is the best way up
Says who? :twisted:
Tim

Post by Tim »

edenooch wrote:I AGREE we need to put like a half eaten deer carcass there. In 2 weeks about 50 peaks baggers are gonna storm that Biotch!
I like that group and I'm sounding selfish too, but this is bad, bad, bad. Will poison oak grow that high up? Maybe start a little patch right there at the beginning.

When I went last week, I even waited until the coast was clear before going off on that use trail.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

lilbitmo wrote:...
The backbone get's all the folks that want to take the Ski Lift up so that they don't have to put in the extra effort to hike the mountain from a trailhead...
People like that don't deserve any respect from my hiking self.

In my teens, I was into rock climbing. Many trails I went on had the wedge at the top, 100 feet of rope down and posers shimmying their asses to the top to claim they did a 5.8/9 and kicked ass.

Seriously, the one who kicked ass is the one who schlepped himself or herself to the top with gear and willpower.

Just saying.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

lilbitmo wrote:Nice work Al
Forgot to say `thank you`.

:)
...half the time they are only carrying one bottle of water :roll: like they are on a picnic of something :shock:

July of last year, I was coming down Baldy bowl after a full moon hike. I saw a dad and his son coming up: none of them had water, Dad was in flip flops and the boy was dressed all in black(!!)

I offered to give them an extra bottle of water: the dad told me to f*** off and mind my own business.

Now, whenever I see the lemmings heading up baldy in their Sunday best, I don't say anything. I just laugh. :twisted:

But I feel sorry for the poor rangers who are gonna rescue their stupid selves after they get hurt or drop of heat exhaustion..........
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I offered to give them an extra bottle of water: the dad told me to f*** off and mind my own business.

Now, whenever I see the lemmings heading up baldy in their Sunday best, I don't say anything. I just laugh. :twisted:

But I feel sorry for the poor rangers who are gonna rescue their stupid selves after they get hurt or drop of heat exhaustion..........
Someone's profile on this board says - "You Can't Fix Stupid" this fits directly into that category - Someday the body bags will not just be black, they will have colored ones that "everyone in the know" will know that (let's say) Blue means bad accident unavoidable, Green avalance victim, Red - just plain "Stupid" so that everyone going by will know the truth :wink:
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

edenooch wrote:I AGREE we need to put like a half eaten deer carcass there. In 2 weeks about 50 peaks baggers are gonna storm that Biotch!
I know a guy. He can get me a side of beef........
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Just hire the Black Knight to stand guard at the bottom of the Ridge.

"None shall pass!!!"

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

kristo5747 wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:Nice work Al
Forgot to say `thank you`.

:)

Did he yell that at the top of his lungs? I'd pay to see that! :idea:
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

edenooch wrote:

Did he yell that at the top of his lungs? I'd pay to see that! :idea:
It went like this:

Me: How you doing? Looks like it's gonna be a hot day today. I got an extra bottle of water. You guys want it?
Dad: F*** off, we don't need anything. I can take care of my kid. I don't need you.
Me: (Shrug) Ok. Have a good one.

That's it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wow, friendly guy.
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

...And those STUP*D people are wasting our tax $$$$$$$! :evil:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Was there snow on parts of RR?
simonov

Post by simonov »

lilbitmo wrote:The backbone get's all the folks that want to take the Ski Lift up so that they don't have to put in the extra effort to hike the mountain from a trailhead,
Really? I've never climbed the backbone, but I have come down it and after that I decided I much prefer the Ski Hut trail.

I know the backbone is shorter, but it really seems to be a pain in the ass.
Nunc est bibendum
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

edenooch wrote:Was there snow on parts of RR?
Only a few patches, towards the top. Nothing major.