Coyote mauling in CANADa

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I would have never sweated a coyote over a bear or big cat.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outpost ... -dies.html
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I can't remember hearing about an adult death from a coyote attack. I have never seen a coyote in the ANF although they must be there. The Orange County parks have their share and sightings are rather frequent. A few years back in the inland part of Crystal Cove SP, we saw a pack down in a canyon from a ridgeline trail. It was a little disturbing to see a pack. Usually, they are singles.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

i seen one run across the highway a couple of miles from newcombs ranch last year
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

I'm here in juniper hills and I see them and hear the packs every evening, and in the early mornings. I bring my animals in at dusk because they move down from the hills every night to feed on kitties and small dogs. the packs will sit just out of sight and call unsuspecting family dogs into the hills, then its all over.

I see them often passing through my back yard. But I have a koi pond and a natural spring on my 20 acres.

A good place to see them is just south of Cima Mesa rd at 106th about 200 yards, just at sunrise because the old lady there feeds them, smart eh.
A week doesn't go by with out seeing missing dog, and cat posters on the telephone poles up here.

Of course when we talk about coyotes, the ones up in canada look more like wolves, they are pretty big.
I was born and raised there, and they are about the size of a good size German Sheppard.
We always would see them at the tree lines of meadows checking us out.
They are very smart and run and hunt in packs, this must have been a situation of opportunity.
when wild dogs loose their fear of people bad things happen.
My wife and her brother own a wild animal ranch by Littlerock dam and have several local type coyotes, and a bunch of wolves including arctic, timber and Grey.
They are pretty big but mostly very skittish.
With the station fire, I bet there will me some incidents involving coyotes, looking of food this winter.